what are the best worming tablets not from vets?

(12 Posts)
LiberalLibertine Tue 25-Mar-14 09:16:17

Just that really, do any of the shop bought ones work? Thanks!

cozietoesie Tue 25-Mar-14 10:31:54

Not only do some of them not work but they're actually quite bad for the animals. This is one that I'd get from the vet. (Or online with a vet prescription (about £8-10 each) if you're looking to economize.)

LiberalLibertine Tue 25-Mar-14 11:03:41

Do you have the name of it cozie? So, you go to a vet to get a prescription? Never heard of that before.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Mar-14 12:41:09

There are decent but prescription-only meds for sale (usually more cheaply) online but the firms who sell them will require to see a vet prescription to send them to you.

The only difficulty there is that for very good reasons, the practice would be highly unlikely to issue a prescription unless they had seen the cat recently ie the cat was 'in their care'. 6 months comes to mind although that may differ depending on the policy adopted by your own practice. (I get a monthly repeat prescription for Seniorboy, for example, and he has to have been seen by his vet within the last 6 months to allow that facility. So far, he always has been in any case.)

When did your cat last see the vet? (Shots, MOT etc.)

Fuzzymum1 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:40:57

I use droncit spot on wormer from vet uk - no need for a prescription and we've seen no evidence of worms in years.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Mar-14 20:51:11

The trouble is that (as far as I'm aware) droncit only does tapeworms, fluffy, so you're not getting complete coverage (eg for roundworms.) You'd need Profender Spot on for those as well, I think. And that still is prescription as far as I know.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Mar-14 20:54:25

Sorry - that post should have been to Fuzzymum1. (I blame Seniorboy for that - he's on the laptop.)

JustDanni Fri 28-Mar-14 09:17:48

our boys spit the pills. our vet suggested the worming syrup. the bottle does several doses and keeps for a while. always check with your vet if you are buying over the counter

LiberalLibertine Fri 28-Mar-14 09:24:11

Thank you all smile

ALovelyBunch0fCoconuts Fri 28-Mar-14 09:39:36

you can buy drontal OTC.

PolterGoose Fri 28-Mar-14 20:19:50

I buy Drontal tablets online.

paneer Sat 29-Mar-14 23:15:49

I have got drontal from Amazon. are they different from the vet ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now