Dudley is missing

(110 Posts)
timtam23 Tue 25-Mar-14 07:19:05

My lovely kitten-under-the-bonnet hasn't come home since yesterday evening sad I know there is always a first time for an all-nighter but it is really unlike him to be out so long & I can't help worrying. He's 8 months old now, a very large and very outdoorsy cat, and bashes the catflap to bits if he has an early curfew, but I always set it to "in only" in the evening so that he spends the night inside. There's been the odd occasion when he's stayed out until the early hours but he has always always come home before, even if it's raining (which it is!). I didn't sleep that well and came downstairs this morning hoping to see him asleep in his armchair - but no. I've even been out for a stroll around the local area - on the bright side, there are no signs he's been run over, but he is certainly nowhere nearby as he would have heard me and come out. The weather is rotten here today but I guess DH will go out later into the woods, which is the logical place for him to have headed for. Trying not to think about putting missing cat posters up - will give him 24 hours first, and hope he comes home in that time sad

cozietoesie Tue 01-Apr-14 09:56:02

I think someone posted on another thread about seeing a cat dive out when they went to view an empty property that had had an unsecured cat flap on a back door. I deeply suspect the two near to you that you mentioned. Still, he's back now - the blighter.

timtam23 Tue 01-Apr-14 09:52:22

Scarlet he has been fine thanks - he has been sleeping a lot and has been very very affectionate. He's stayed quite close to home & I've been locking the cat flap much earlier than usual - I have to say I'm on tenterhooks every time he goes out!

We still have no idea where he was hiding out but it must have been inside somewhere as he was clean and dry on his return.

OrangeAndPurple Mon 31-Mar-14 23:47:22

I went to view an empty house a few months ago. As soon as the estate agent opened the door, a black cat ran out. Seems there was a cat flap on the back door that had been left unsecured and he'd got in that way. Don't know if the cat had any links to the house or was just having a sleepover there.

So glad Dudley is home.

Scarletohello Mon 31-Mar-14 20:42:53

How has Dudley been since he has returned home? Settled back ok? And any idea as to where the naughty boy went..? smile

KittieCat Fri 28-Mar-14 23:08:22

I've been offline for a bit but dashed back here as soon as i could and couldn't be more pleased with the news of Dudley's return.

Lovely pics!

timtam23 Thu 27-Mar-14 23:00:20

He does seem to have reasonable quality of life but I would have a low threshold for having him put to sleep as he has been through a lot in the last couple of years - he was robustly healthy and a very active cat until age 16. We are nursing him along in his twilight years although to be honest he is surviving for longer than we'd expected!

cozietoesie Thu 27-Mar-14 22:38:17

Poor old lad. He looks happy enough though - and he has young Duds to help. smile

timtam23 Thu 27-Mar-14 22:30:12

I think he does have a little sight left as his pupils still go a bit smaller in strong daylight. But he really struggles in the evenings once natural light is gone. The vet thinks he may have sight similar to peering through a very smeary fogged windowpane. We do need to tap his food bowl and talk to him to direct him around but he uses his whiskers quite effectively and doesn't get stuck too often.

cozietoesie Thu 27-Mar-14 22:25:44

Is he completely blind now do you think or just very impaired? (I realize it's not that easy for you to tell.)

timtam23 Thu 27-Mar-14 22:21:44

Yes helly he is the tabby and white cat (and I agree he is gorgeous), the other one is my 17 yr old blind boycat who in his youth was very similar to Dudley in temperament & behaviour (including getting lost for days on end!)

hellymelly Thu 27-Mar-14 22:17:38

Is he the tabby and white one? He is beautiful.

hellymelly Thu 27-Mar-14 22:16:51

Hurrah for Dudley! I am really delighted he is home, had just logged on for news. Brilliant.

Scarletohello Thu 27-Mar-14 22:10:54

Well he certainly is the cat with 9 lives isn't he..? smile

cozietoesie Thu 27-Mar-14 20:51:54

I doubt it most sincerely.

But they do look good, timtam. I reckon the old boy likes him - he would have moved away or be sitting differently if not.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 27-Mar-14 20:47:09

I hope this is a lesson learnt for him.

timtam23 Thu 27-Mar-14 20:36:24

Aw thank you everyone for all the lovely posts here, I'm so touched that you were all thinking of Dudley

I have a couple of recent photos but will try to get one of Duds on his own soon too

He is asleep on my lap at the moment, it's so nice to be back to normal!

ChickyEgg Thu 27-Mar-14 20:34:43

Hooray! Welcome back Dudley!!

rideyourbike Thu 27-Mar-14 20:28:53

Ah, I just checked to see if he was back. Really pleased to hear he is xx

NormHonal Thu 27-Mar-14 17:41:42

So pleased he's back!

I didn't post earlier but I remember your thread when he was found as a kitten.

Just got in from work & my first thought was of Dudley. I'm so pleased the little rascal is back!

BigArea Thu 27-Mar-14 17:30:17

Another vote for a photo of the Dudster smile

cozietoesie Thu 27-Mar-14 17:11:47

I think this thread needs the latest photograph of the little blighter!

smile

HarpyFishwifeTwat Thu 27-Mar-14 17:09:17

So pleased to hear Dudley is home. Little bugger trying to upset us all.

Wishyouwould Thu 27-Mar-14 17:08:31

So please for you OP!! Welcome home Dudley!! smile

chemenger Thu 27-Mar-14 17:05:02

So pleased for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now