Dudley is missing

(110 Posts)
timtam23 Tue 25-Mar-14 07:19:05

My lovely kitten-under-the-bonnet hasn't come home since yesterday evening sad I know there is always a first time for an all-nighter but it is really unlike him to be out so long & I can't help worrying. He's 8 months old now, a very large and very outdoorsy cat, and bashes the catflap to bits if he has an early curfew, but I always set it to "in only" in the evening so that he spends the night inside. There's been the odd occasion when he's stayed out until the early hours but he has always always come home before, even if it's raining (which it is!). I didn't sleep that well and came downstairs this morning hoping to see him asleep in his armchair - but no. I've even been out for a stroll around the local area - on the bright side, there are no signs he's been run over, but he is certainly nowhere nearby as he would have heard me and come out. The weather is rotten here today but I guess DH will go out later into the woods, which is the logical place for him to have headed for. Trying not to think about putting missing cat posters up - will give him 24 hours first, and hope he comes home in that time sad

timtam23 Tue 25-Mar-14 16:50:17

cozie the tooth is ok thanks

sadly still no sign of Dudley, it's still raining & cold here and I really can't see that he would have stayed out in this. Not sure what to do really as he hasn't been missing 24 hours yet. DH is pretty pessimistic about the point of putting up posters etc although we are still looking for him. I will ring the microchip company tomorrow if he's not back by then. Today has gone very slowly, people have been kind and tried to help which has almost made it worse!

Any happy stories of cats who disappeared in foul weather and eventually came back?

cozietoesie Tue 25-Mar-14 17:33:53

I reckon he's hot himself shut in somewhere - most of the cats who've gone missing on this board have been stuck in sheds or garages or something. (One poster's cat was stuck in a building project where the workers had shut the door if I recall.)

Good luck.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:41:01

A cat near here went missing on a Saturday afternoon and the owner was putting flyers through everyone's door on the Sunday morning.

It can't hurt can it? The waiting is unbearable.

ChickyEgg Tue 25-Mar-14 17:49:51

I once lost my cat Poppy for six weeks. She just upped and disappeared one day. I put posters up etc etc. One day I said to my other cat 'Please find her, Daisy' sad and blow me! They both walked up the garden that evening!! Poppy was very thin but she was ok! There is hope, OP.

timtam23 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:54:07

DH went for a walk too, came back, no Dudley sad

There are some builders around but they are mostly doing loft conversions, or some other things where the ground floors are left open.

Will sort some leaflets out tonight I think, although DH doesn't think they will do any good apart from to make me feel better!

The leaflets will get people to check their garages and sheds. smile

cozietoesie Tue 25-Mar-14 18:00:41

Just me but I always take leaflets through doors very seriously, more so than those on lamp posts etc. Stick a photo of Dudley on it.

Oh - and might be a good idea to mention it to your postie if you're around when he comes. They're potentially doing (depending on deliveries) a mailbox by mailbox so will be in all sorts of places.

hellymelly Tue 25-Mar-14 18:05:39

Leaflet, knock on all doors, the works. My friend's cat, who never went far, was missing for a week. friend was hugely pregnant and distraught, she combed the streets. Cat was found on the windowsill of a house a couple of streets away. no idea how she got there.
Oh and i had a cat to stay once, i lived in a shared house, all the others were in a band together and away touring ,they came back early, and left the door open, out went cat. Strange area, very very worrying, but he sauntered back in 36 hours later! Come home Dudley.

Wishyouwould Tue 25-Mar-14 18:30:38

I would defo get the posters up and leaflets posted now. My girl went missing for 5 days and when she came home she was dehydrated, hungry and smelly and had obviously been locked in somewhere.

She has never roamed far and I think she was in a neighbour garage/shed sheltering from the rain - I'm convinced my leaflet got her out although no-one has ever come forward and told me this, just a gut feeling.

Fingers crossed that Dudley is home very soon, it's such a worry x

Oh no - not Dudley! I'm sure he'll be fine but, as everyone else has said, with Spring on the horizon this is a prime time for cats getting shut in sheds. So yes, the posters need to be put through the door now, with the request to check sheds and garages large and in bold.

timtam23 Tue 25-Mar-14 21:08:37

I have put together a flyer with a photo and will print some off, then put them through doors on the 3 or 4 streets immediately around mine - tomorrow evening

I also went round a few neighbours this evening and they have all been lovely, one has tweeted Dudley's pic to a local group and another has put it on a local facebook group. The dog walkers will keep an eye out for him (although we feel more & more sure he could be locked in somewhere, as you have all been saying)

Thank you for all the support & suggestions, I am really sad and absolutely shattered as I didn't sleep well last night. Have to pick myself up for work tomorrow, not looking forward to that. I have been told loads and loads of positive stories where cats found their way home after days/weeks/months - am so hoping Dudley will be one of them too and it will be days not months!

KittieCat Tue 25-Mar-14 21:18:18

So sorry to hear about Dudley. I'm going to say something that I hate to even type and that's don't panic too much. I know, I KNOW it's so easy to say.

My gorgeous girl went missing for 6.5 weeks. She went the week before we moved from SE to central London. It was down to a poster that we got her back. We all flyered houses nearby, put up posters and walked literally miles looking for her but, purely by chance, I'd sent my last posters to all the vets I could find listings for and one of these was how we got her back.

I promise there is still hope. Don't give up!

Sending 'come home Dudley' vibes.

timtam23 Tue 25-Mar-14 21:52:43

Thank you Kittie and everyone else who has posted happy stories of cats finding their way home, it does help a bit, and you are right that there is no use in panicking, although I have cried on DH quite a bit today. Also the children are having a few wobbles which is more upsetting as they do love Dudley.
Will get some sleep tonight and hopefully my sleeping brain will relax & accept that Duds won't stroll in overnight - then will get flyers done tomorrow sometime

If I have anything to update, the litter tray will be the first to know smile it's so great to have folk here who understand how dotty I can be about my cats

It's very early days as missing cats go. Keep positive. Sleep well x

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Mar-14 22:03:57

So sorry to hear this. We had a cat turn up after 3 weeks. Hoping he will soon turn up.
DUDLEY. COME HOME!!!!

cozietoesie Tue 25-Mar-14 22:09:02

Sleep as well as you can, timtam. I know he's your cat but I think he's also a little bit of everyone's here since that day he was found in your car engine. There will be plenty of people here who are willing him home tonight.

timtam23 Tue 25-Mar-14 22:17:51

He is a Community Cat!

I think he's so special and it's lovely that folk on MN also remember him

Thanks again everyone smile

Scarletohello Tue 25-Mar-14 22:22:22

Was hoping to hear some good news about Dudley, remember reading about him when you first found him! I really hope he turns up soon, it's such a worry. Hugs to you and your family.

TamzinGrey Tue 25-Mar-14 22:48:16

Another one here willing Dudley to come home and sending you a cyber hug Timtam. It was lovely following the story of how he "found" you. Let's hope that he's just having another adventure that turns out well in the end. As others have said - it's early days yet.

hellymelly Tue 25-Mar-14 23:01:13

Sending come home vibes to Dudley. I agree it seems highly likely he is locked in somewhere. If he is a vocal chatty cat, then going out in the very early morning or late evening, when it is quiet, and calling him near garages, sheds etc, might mean you hear him mew back to you if he is trapped. A cousins cat was missing for a week, she had fallen down between hay bales in their barn and couldn't get out, they heard her pitiful weak mew. She was dehydrated but recovered.

MinkyWinky Wed 26-Mar-14 00:14:25

Of course we remember Dudley! Hopefully he's just out having a mini adventure and will be back safe and well very soon.

Right Dudley. You need to come home now.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 26-Mar-14 16:35:54

Does your area have a facebook spotted page? I see lost cats on ours.

Good idea Fluffy, ours does too.

Scarletohello Wed 26-Mar-14 20:49:26

Oh no still no news? I do hope he comes home safe and sound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now