Cat flea advice

(5 Posts)
TheBananaStand Mon 24-Mar-14 13:18:24

I was wondering if anyone had any wisdom to share on getting rid of cat fleas?

We're looking after my sister's cat while they're on holiday and it's ridden with fleas! It's been here for two nights now. I did some googling on fleas (shudder, not for the faint hearted!) and bought some Frontline, some floor powder and a can of Johnson's 4Fleas spray (comes in a pink can).

The cat has mostly been kept in our kitchen (we have a 4 month old DD and I didn't want it in our bedroom etc.) but it's also been in other rooms briefly.

I've just put the frontline on the cat. What would you suggest the best plan would be now? Is it worth using the spray and powder right away? Should I make sure my DD isn't exposed to these? Am I right in thinking the whole house needs treated? I was going to hot wash the living room cushions and my DD's nursing pillow/blankets; do I need to do all of our clothes and bedding too? I'm clueless when it comes to pets and I feel sorry for the poor wee cat but equally don't want my house infested! I'd be really grateful for any hints or tips!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Mar-14 13:59:24

I'd go to an asda pharmacy for indorex spray, it's the most effective spray for the house.

You need to do lots of vacuuming & hot washes. Mop the kitchen with hot soapy water but no disinfectant, it's not a germ & disinfectants can poisen cats.

If you can afford it ring the vet about a stonghold jab, it lasts six months. My vet charges £35.

Frontline doesn't always work, the fleas are getting resistant.

Poor cat must be feeling rotten too.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:06:43

Program jab! Not stronghold.

blush

TheBananaStand Mon 24-Mar-14 14:54:12

Thanks Fluffy!

I'll try to get Indorex. I've been hoovering like a madwoman but haven't mopped yet, so I'll do that. My kitchen has so many nooks and crannies and it's tricky finding the time to do all this when my DD won't nap.

Gah, I really hope the Frontline works.

I feel so sorry for the cat, it's scratching like mad.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 24-Mar-14 14:59:22

Program doesn't kill live fleas, it just prevents them from breeding. If frontline doesn't work I would try Activyl or Advocate from the vet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now