Just found out my cat has been killed

(22 Posts)
mycatlikestwiglets Mon 24-Mar-14 11:16:45

Vet called to say he'd been found and brought in - killed by a hit and run driver. Am sat here blubbing while feeding 4mo DD - I was going to go out and call him as he didn't come home last night (not like him at all) but have been busy all morning as DD has chickenpox sad.

He was my first baby - a big black beauty who had a second chance after being poisoned by slug pellets. We knew he was for us the moment we saw him at the RSPCA. Can't believe it sad

Fontofnowt Mon 24-Mar-14 11:21:50

Aw no.
Sorry he's gone sad

bigbadbarry Mon 24-Mar-14 11:26:43

I'm so sorry. I lost my cat on the road a couple of months ago and it is awful.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 24-Mar-14 11:26:53

Oh how bloody awful sad

Huge hugs to you .

Sweet dreams kitty run free now. Poor baby sad

cozietoesie Mon 24-Mar-14 11:30:21

So very sorry, mycat. sad

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 24-Mar-14 11:48:36

Don't know how we're going to tell 3yo DS, that's almost the hardest thing (especially since I can't hold it together atm). At least I have until this evening to compose myself. His breakfast is still sitting there in the bowl waiting for him to come home sad sad

hmm

One of our cats died unexpectedly when I was 3 and I don't remember being traumatised by it so do t worry about your DS. Sorry about your puss. Thinking of you.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 24-Mar-14 12:00:41

When we told dd about her guinea pig dying she drew a picture to stick to the box we buried him in.

Perhaps your Ds would like to do something like that? Draw or colour in a picture to "post" to cat heaven saying how much he loved him?

Don't worry about holding it together it's gonna be hard no matter what sad dd was about 2.5 when our cat died she still remembers her and misses her. She still likes to talk about her. Just let your Ds talk sad x

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Mar-14 13:54:35

That's awful. He was chipped though so you aren't still calling him.

Is your oh going to collect him?.

So sorry flowers

LiberalLibertine Mon 24-Mar-14 13:56:41

Oh, I'm so sorry sad flowers

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 24-Mar-14 15:52:35

Yes thank goodness he was chipped so we at least know what happened to him.

DH came home from work and we've been out to buy a beautiful plant which he is now buried under. He can lick all the twiglets he likes now in kitty heaven

cozietoesie Mon 24-Mar-14 15:55:28

How is your DS taking it or is he not back yet?

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 24-Mar-14 19:06:55

We sat DS down to tell him when he got home this evening. I don't think he understands tbh, he kept disagreeing with us when we said the cat wouldn't be coming home sad. I think it'll take a few days for the message to sink in with him so we'll just keep trying to explain.

I'm feeling more together now - DH and I did a little funeral for twigletcat and sad our goodbyes. I'm glad we got to bring him home and give him one last stroke.

Belated condolences to bigbadbarry too, it's so horrible to lose a family pet this way.

Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Mar-14 19:09:57

I am so sorry twiglets, what a horrible shock. flowers

cozietoesie Mon 24-Mar-14 19:13:00

I'm glad that you and DH did a little funeral for him - I think they help. As to DS, just keep repeating if asked. I think it's probably important not to use any euphemisms like 'gone to sleep' or 'gone away' - they may not understand fully the idea of death but using language that is used in other contexts to imply something less than finality is easier to seize upon at that age.

Poor you all.

ozymandiusking Mon 24-Mar-14 19:13:24

So sorry to hear about your puss cat.
Thinking of you.

crazynanna Mon 24-Mar-14 19:14:39

so very sorry sad thanks

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 24-Mar-14 20:22:00

Thank you all for all the kind messages thanks

6cats3gingerkittens Wed 26-Mar-14 19:13:57

So sorry, a dreadful thing to have happened. Loving thoughts to you and yours, from Binkie, Mrs Beebah, Willum, Isabella, Polly, Benson, and the ginger boys XXXXXXXXX.

Fuzzymum1 Thu 27-Mar-14 17:38:21

I'm so sorry, such a horrible thing to happen.

So sorry for you sad

ChickyEgg Thu 27-Mar-14 20:37:25

I'm so sorry sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now