Kitty has ventured out...hold my hand

(40 Posts)
EustaciaVye Wed 19-Mar-14 20:44:22

Kitty is 6.5 months old. she was neutered a month ago and has had access to a cat flap for two weeks. She doesn't really get the cat flap so waits for us to let her out of the door and back in again and never goes far.
She went out at about 6 is and hasn't come back when I call and rattle her treats. I have been trying on and off for about an hour.
I am sure she is fine...but what if she gets lost and can't find her way home.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:55:03

Right. How about a curfew of 5pm? That way she misses the cars driving home.

Is she hungry?

I let mine out at 6:30am-ish and by the time I'm home at 5/6ish they're usually back in. If they're not back, they usually venture home before 8pm...it took a while of training but it works well - they never stay out of night due to foxes and my crippling paranoia
Would you consider just letting her out during the day?

cozietoesie Wed 19-Mar-14 21:00:06

Put the lights on and draw back curtains in a couple of rooms, say, to illuminate the garden - and keep going out and rattling/calling. Is she chipped?

EustaciaVye Wed 19-Mar-14 21:16:12

She went out without me noticing as we had play dates being collected.
Normally she only goes out during the day when I am around.

She has access to dried food through the day so won't be starving.

She is microchipped.

I'm not going to sleep tonight am I?

Do you have one of those flaps that you can set so they can come in but not go back out? They're great. Go to bed and keep one ear open. I read somewhere scattering a little bit of litter from their tray out the door can help them remember their way home. Could be utter bollocks though!

EustaciaVye Wed 19-Mar-14 21:20:43

She has managed to get out of the flap but not back in which is why I am worried. It's cold outside sad

we also have another cat but he is fast asleep upstairs.

She will figure out how to get back in, honestly. She's just exploring the neighbourhood. My two cats were indoor when I lived in a 2 bed terrace - when I moved to the countryside and they were allowed out...well, it was hellish getting them to come back. They ALWAYS have though.]
Ive also found it better to feed them a meal in the morning (which they eat completely) so when I come home they're hungry and in waiting.

ThisFenceIsComfy Wed 19-Mar-14 21:25:08

I feel for you. About two weeks after my cat started going out, she didn't come home before it got dark. It was a unusually warm night too.

I ended up sleeping downstairs with the patio doors open so she could get in easily (I was worried she would g find the cat flap in the dark!). She rocked up at 2am miaowing by my head.

She doesn't go out any more since I moved house and my fox paranoia has reached all new crazy levels.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Mar-14 21:26:45

No. You're not going to sleep tonight unless she comes back.

EustaciaVye Wed 19-Mar-14 21:28:31

Stress all round. DH is away. DD 1 is upset and can't sleep.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Mar-14 21:36:15

Gawd - and you've probably got another 15-20 years of this, remember.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Mar-14 21:36:54

PS - has DD1 not been through this before with your other cat?

EustaciaVye Wed 19-Mar-14 21:38:32

I never worried about big cat. He has always been more confident. Kitty surprised us by being a bit of a wimp and sticking near us so this is out of character.

Big cat has just gone out so I am hoping he tracks her down.

EustaciaVye Wed 19-Mar-14 21:39:22

Big cat is 8 and has always come and gone as he pleases. DD 1 now in my bed :/

springbabydays Wed 19-Mar-14 21:46:37

Hope kitty comes back soon. Feel for you, but we don't do cat flaps. Our cats have to ask to go out/come in, that way we can make sure they're in at night. First expedition outdoors was supervised by us with plenty of daylight hours to go. We also keep meal times rigid so they know they're expected to come in at those times.

Shake a box of biscuits at the door or tap the food bowl with a fork, might attract kitty in if she hasn't had dinner?

timtam23 Wed 19-Mar-14 21:47:39

I have this every time my kitten/young cat comes back late (he is 8 months). He absolutely loves sitting out in the dark, he's a bit timid still and I think he feels more confident after dark. I'm not happy about it because of the car accident risk but there's not much I can do if he disappears for hours & won't come back. On the odd occasion, DH & I have been known to wander about in the street at 2am trying to spot him...We do set the cat flap to "in only" and he's come back around 3am, the dirty stopout. I can'treally rest until he's back although I usually fall asleep from complete exhaustion!

Sometimes I wonder if they get a feeling for the weather, the forecast here is for a few very wet days to come, so the cat has been out a lot today - maybe making the most of the fine weather before the rain?

We also keep meal times rigid so they know they're expected to come in at those times.
This is the best advice for a stress free cat-keeping life!

springbabydays Wed 19-Mar-14 21:48:36

Sorry just reread and saw you tried the treats. She'll get hungry and come home I'm sure. She knows where home is.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Mar-14 21:48:59

Now that sounds as if DD1 is milking it just a bit? (But on occasion, why not?)

cozietoesie Wed 19-Mar-14 21:50:57

The trouble with Dudley is that you don't know his background - for all you know, he could have been raised in a hedgerow and be perfectly happy out there at night.

EustaciaVye Wed 19-Mar-14 21:54:01

DD 1 is a daddy's girl so she is just a bit lonely.

I think big cat might just go and find kitty. They do like to play so fingers crossed

cozietoesie Wed 19-Mar-14 21:56:11

They'll certainly know each other's sound and smell. Here's hoping.

Hope she comes back soon, I feel the same when one of ours disappears, they don't tend to stay out for long and are usually not too far away.

EustaciaVye Wed 19-Mar-14 22:03:06

grin clever kitty just scratched at the front door to be let in.

After her 4 hour jaunt she has wolfed down her food, used the litter tray hmm and given me lots and lots of love.

And she has just scratched at the door to be let out again!! Not tonight...

Thank you so much for listening, and offering up your stories. I am slightly surprised at how anxious I have been but she is my little love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now