Abcess after amputation, please help

(6 Posts)
MrsJamesMartin Mon 17-Mar-14 20:34:14

Ok so our fabulous one yr old cat was run over on 28 February , his left hind leg was broken and had to be amputated, this happened on the same day mil died suddenly so it's been just awful.
He came home day later and seemed to be slowly improving, however, last Tuesday a small red area appeared and I thought he'd managed to get at his stump, by four pm the area was as big as a 50p and burst with lots of blood and pus, went back to vets who gave antibiotics.
Went back for chalk on Thursday wound still leaking loads and he wasn't letting me clean it enough as too sore so was admitted and is still there now.
Updates are that the wound is still leaking but shouldn't it be drying up by now? I just don't know what to do and feel like he'll never be better again, with everything else going on this is proving hard to cope with, if you've got this far thanks for reading sad

cozietoesie Mon 17-Mar-14 20:40:44

Oh MrsJames - how awful for you. Has your vet given a prognosis?

MrsJamesMartin Mon 17-Mar-14 20:45:10

No just wants to "make sure he's right" but I've no idea how long that might take days? months? I've got young kids and to be honest the thought that he's hopping around discharging pus all over the house worries me, this is the main reason he's still at the vets. Never owned a cat before and never thought he'd cause me so much stress

cozietoesie Mon 17-Mar-14 20:52:31

You're getting a load of bad things all at once - that's often the way of it.

I'm afraid that you're going to have to rely on your vet in this one - he's a young cat so if he was healthy before his accident, then he should heal pretty quickly if it was a good op and a good stump. But infections do happen sometimes.

It might be a good idea, though, to hire/buy a dog crate on his return and give him cage rest in one room to recover. (A dog crate can contain a bed, tray and food and it's roomier than a cat carrier.)

Fingers crossed for him. You can always come here to dump if you feel you want to shriek with stress.

How are the DCs taking everything?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:20:02

Oozing wounds aren't as bad as we imagine, it's washing bacteria out.

The exudate can flow out or track back into his bloodstream.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Mar-14 21:51:18

How is he getting on, MrsJames ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now