Letting kittens out for first time

(9 Posts)
thoughtsbecomethings Sun 16-Mar-14 20:40:43

Had my 2 little kitty's( 9 months) spayed and they are desperate to go out. I am scared to let them go... Any advice on when, how and tips for getting them to return would be much appreciated. smile

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 16-Mar-14 21:07:38

I let ours out before breakfast on a weekend. If you live near a road let them out furthest away from it.

Fozzleyplum Sun 16-Mar-14 21:12:28

We're just about to do the same. Our 2 kittens (brothers) are about 6 months old, were neutered on Friday and are desperate to get out. Today, we've bought them a harness and lead each and will take them into the garden, tomorrow if the weather is good. I'd be nervous about letting them loose before they've been outside on the lead.

Pimpf Sun 16-Mar-14 21:14:46

Watching this with interest. Our 2 kittens are about 5 and 6 months old, we've had them for 2 weeks now so still a while before we'll let them out but not sure how best to do it

timtam23 Sun 16-Mar-14 21:20:15

I used to let my kitten out before a meal so that he would hopefully come in for food. Also we took him out into the backyard for quite a few days once he was old enough to go out, so that we could keep an eye on him and we gradually let him out into the alley and further afield. Initially he stayed well away from the roads, however he adores staying out and now I have no idea where he goes (he is 8 months old). We don't have particularly busy roads around here but I do worry about him. However I know he would not tolerate being an indoor cat!

thoughtsbecomethings Sun 16-Mar-14 21:24:20

Thanks for the tips. My 2 little ladies have been out in the garden a few times, one is quite timid and follows me the other has made several attempts to jump the fence !
I feel like I did when the Dc went to the park or shop for the first time.

cozietoesie Sun 16-Mar-14 21:29:00

Let them out hungry and have something truly delicious for them to eat when they get back the first time or two.

I'd also go outside the first few times to rough-supervise and to allow myself to be seen against the house door. (I just have this feeling that that makes it easier for them to remember the right house and door to come back to.)

You'll have to be prepared, though, for that horrible first moment when you see them disappear over a wall. It's real heart in mouth time until they arrive back.

Teapot74 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:05:33

Have just let mine out for the first time a fortnight or so ago. I started tapping the plate a couple of days before so they got used to the noise. They haven't gone far yet and the plate tapping brings them back in an instant.

OddFodd Mon 17-Mar-14 21:14:43

I went out with ours the first few times and only let them out when they were hungry. I also put a board at the bottom of the gate as we live on a corner. Their road sense is improving but they're a bit cavalier when I'm outside - like I have magic car taming skills hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now