Stray Cat

(108 Posts)
EnlightenedOwl Sat 15-Mar-14 17:05:53

For some weeks a stray has been hanging around. Neighbours have been feeding him. However the last few nights he has been sleeping in my garden.
Finally gave in and gave him some dinner. He is now asleep on a chair in the house.
Luckily my cat seems to be tolerating him
Stray Cat is a tom cat, unneutered very friendly but I don't know what to do. i've left messages with the pet shop local catteries and vets pet found websites facebook etc.
I guess I should as a starter get him checked for a chip shouldn't I? he has no collar.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 23-Mar-14 16:45:53

We've got a pet carrier of theirs which he arrived in and need to take it back guess we can tell them then. I really need to get this chip done - vaccination appt on Weds and will discuss chipping then.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Mar-14 16:20:51

They look fine together. I'd ring the rescue and say he's got a home already - and get him chipped to you ASAP.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 23-Mar-14 16:02:39

I can see the sense of having an alternative available but they are doing so well! They had a tiny tiff in the back garden - over a sun spot! - but it was more handbags at dawn than anything really malicious.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 23-Mar-14 16:00:08

Can you ring them to explain he's happy with you & you intend to keep him?.

They look quite companionable together, I don't see how they rescue could provide him with a better home.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 23-Mar-14 15:54:47

In the garden today. Slight concern however as he has been on list for rehoming with cat rescue place and neighbour has told them he is still being fostered and is available if a place comes up there for him. She says it gives us options if things do not work out for him here. I would prefer it if he came off the list for rehoming really. ASAP will get him microchipped to me.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Mar-14 19:58:56

No I think it's woefully under stocked.

What were you thinking? Unless the smoked salmon is in the fridge.

If so, carry on.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 22-Mar-14 19:54:04

This is what my cupboard looks like. Do you think we've enough to be going on with!

RandomMess Sat 22-Mar-14 14:42:07

Our cats are persistant kneaders -drives me a little crazy because one in particular luffs me soooo much it has to me that gets a pummelling!

EnlightenedOwl Sat 22-Mar-14 13:32:42

Ah I was wondering why he was kneading so much! Thanks! I lay on the floor with him earlier while he rolled about doing rolypolys and purred at me.

cozietoesie Sat 22-Mar-14 12:11:58

You may ('may') find that the kneading tails off a bit as he becomes more accustomed to love and (comparative) luxury. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 22-Mar-14 12:02:23

Jasper (original cat, black and white) is a sofa destroyer he wrecked my last one. So when I got the new furniture I just went to Asda and got loads of throws. They wash well and you can just take them off if you have visitors. The sofa is still in as new condition. Sam, new cat, is a kneader, but this way he's just pulling holes in that blanket he sleeps on, the spotty one. That one is a Dunelm fleece throw and its popular with both cats so I'll have to go and get another one.

RandomMess Sat 22-Mar-14 11:10:56

I love reading this updates, so glad it is going well smile

cozietoesie Sat 22-Mar-14 10:29:56

Oh - and by the way. The Lodger was a ginger with that thick fur and I swear I sometimes thought that I ought to just cut out the middleman and hoover him directly. (He used to shed hair like no other cat I've ever seen, despite regular brushing.) Maybe you should institutionalize the throws!

cozietoesie Sat 22-Mar-14 10:26:37

Those are two contented cats. There's nothing to say they can't still fall out but it's really not looking likely now. Well done all.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Mar-14 10:09:12

They look very companionable don't they?

EnlightenedOwl Sat 22-Mar-14 09:53:43

He looks well fed as two or three neighbours have been feeding him! However now they know he has a "residence" they will stop to avoid him getting confused.
This was this morning. Both cats had a good breakfast bit of a stroll in the sun and now snooze time
Sam has come home every night since I took him over. Still in his bed at 7am this morning!
Apologies for mess my furniture is quite new so buried under lots of throws!

Migsy1 Fri 21-Mar-14 11:43:44

He's not shy then? He looks well fed too. He's obviously pretty streetwise and knows how to manage humans.

cozietoesie Thu 20-Mar-14 21:48:55

That's good. He's young though (?) so should have a strong bladder and may try to last it out. Fingers crossed for you.

EnlightenedOwl Thu 20-Mar-14 21:44:54

He's been out quite a bit so not needed tray; however he has his own now in the utility room if he needs it tonight. Its well away from the other cat's and is a quiet space.

cozietoesie Thu 20-Mar-14 21:07:06

Has he used the tray yet?

EnlightenedOwl Thu 20-Mar-14 21:03:49

All good again. He really shouldn't be out as not vaccinated yet but he gets upset at being hemmed in. So he has been allowed to come and go. And tonight he jumped on my brother's knee which has really surprised us!
He adores being brushed - weirdo, my other cat hates it! And he also adores Dreamies. What cat doesn't!

Applecrumbly Thu 20-Mar-14 00:40:57

Congrats on the new addition OPsmile.
<< stares at 'stray' asleep on recliner chair angry .Stray that I took in last November and remembers all the times I came on here asking for advice as my 7 month old kitten simply would not accept her and they were continually fighting>>.
They get on fairly ok now and seem ok and tolerant of each other..have the odd swipe at each other but for the most part are good .
Good luck OPsmile.

timtam23 Wed 19-Mar-14 21:40:58

How lovely that he is home with you at last. Hopefully the litter tray dilemma will be resolved easily! I would say at least 2 trays as well (I have 2 cats & 2 trays)

cozietoesie Wed 19-Mar-14 20:49:25

At least two trays for the duration, maybe three. The rule of thumb is one per cat plus one - and if he's perhaps not used one before/not used one for a long time, I think I'd err on the side of over-provision so that he doesn't have to go too far.

(And it's no hardship really. Having a spare tray or two in the cupboard is always useful if only for ease of cleaning.)

He'll probably sleep through the night now. Glad he's OK.

EnlightenedOwl Wed 19-Mar-14 20:39:14

ok he is here. Very agitated and stressed at first but much calmer now and sleeping peacefully. Was anxious to get out but we trying to keep him in as much as possible. Beautiful cat, kisses you and rubs his head against you.
Now, litter trays. I have one for my cat. Do I need another one please? I've had cat and dog before but never cat and cat so not sure what the best way is. Also not sure how good his toilet training is yet although have shown him the litter tray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now