Moving Day - any hints?

(9 Posts)
joey99 Fri 14-Mar-14 21:23:15

We are moving house next week and I can think of 2 options for my cat on moving day to ensure she is safe
1 - I take her round a friends house on moving morning and shut her in the utility room for the day so she is safe and collect her and bring her to new home once removal men have been and gone.
2- I take her to new house but she would have to be left in cat carrier for a couple of hours so I know she wont escape from new house with removal men in and out.
Both these sound a bit boring or stressful so what has everyone else done when moving house please? I intend to keep her inside for a few weeks when we move and then gradually let her our so she gets to know where her new house is. Does this sound right? We are only moving 1 mile so I am worried about her going back to old house

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 14-Mar-14 21:25:21

Can you get her in a cattery for two days?

Keep her in for a month so she doesn't go back to the old house.

I think the cattery is the best option too.

I have had to move my neurotic cat a few times, shes the sort that freaks if we rearrange furniture or get a new rug! (she actually refused to set foot on a new rug for a good few months last year?) Anyway last move was least stressful, we put her in catbox and left her in new house bathroom with water, litter tray and her box open to get out. Once the removalmen left we ppened bathroom door and let her come out in her own time (12 hours). Good luck!

Bapple Sun 16-Mar-14 23:05:05

We're moving next week too. My plan is to put our two cats in their boxes and then keep them shut in the conservatory at new place with water and litter tray until removal men gone. Then I'll try and keep them in the house for two weeks. We are only moving five minutes away and one of my cats likes to roam but is well known in the village.
My vet recommended Feliway which you can get as a plug in or a spray and is meant to give out feel good pheromones to settle cats. On my vet's advice we started using the plug in two days ago to start calming the cats in preparation for the move - since plugging it in, one cat has cried pitifully and continually and the other had frantically scratched at the door. I have just turned it off and all is calm again. Not the best £35 I have spent.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 17-Mar-14 07:05:32

Does the conservatory get a lot of sun? On a hot day you run the risk of them overheating.

Bapple Mon 17-Mar-14 22:18:36

Thankfully conservatory is an old style brick one and quite cool but I'll check them frequently anyway. As soon as removal guys have gone, I'll give cats the run of the house.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 17-Mar-14 22:22:35

I borrowed a good-sized dog crate so my cat could stretch his legs, have some food and sleep too. It was big enough for his litter tray to go on as well. I put it in what I hoped would be the quietest room in the house and also covered it partly with a blanket so he could 'hide' if he wanted to.
He sulked for a good while but seemed ok. smile

Bapple Wed 19-Mar-14 21:25:10

Well - we moved today and this is what we did ... my neighbour shut the cats into one of her bedrooms for the morning (this didn't bother them as they quite often crept into her house over the years). They then spent an hour in the conservatory at the new place before we introduced them to the rest of the house. We let them have a few rooms at a time rather than overwhelming them with the whole house. Currently asleep with my boys and seem undisturbed by the experience so far. Will now keep them indoors for at least a week. Good luck with your move op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now