have got a dilemma with stray cat ive taken in

(12 Posts)
issey6cats Fri 14-Mar-14 11:00:09

right back story this adult boy turned up in my garden about 3 weeks ago and he is definitely a stray have had him checked for chip advertised him as found and no one has come forward, my neighbour and i thought we had found his owner, but turned out he wasnt their cat, finally managed to grab him by getting his trust and feeding him every day, he didnt move from the bathroom for over 3 days, his fur is totally matted so i have been sorting this out a bit at a time,

now he is starting to howl to get back outside i dont know what to do my instinct says to keep him in as im fairly sure if i let him out he will not come back in as its taken me so long to get his trust in the first place and i felt so sorry for him sleeping outside under next doors car on concrete, he didnt even use the shelter i built for him

he does get on alright with my other cats, i have advertised for a new home for him and if he isnt homed by next week i am going to get him neutered when i get paid

what would you do pic on profile

MadamBatShit Fri 14-Mar-14 11:03:11

Neuter him and let him out. But def neuter him before letting him out.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Mar-14 11:17:14

You've pretty well got to neuter him directly, issey. Can the rescue help with favourable terms? (eg real cheap and delayed payment.)

And then you'll be keeping him I suspect?

Poor lad. He looks just a tad bedraggled still but he's a good looking boy nonetheless.

Yes definitely don't let him out until he's neutered. What do your rescue do about neutering? Who pays for that? I would then keep him in one week longer and then let him out and feed outside.

Atbeckandcall Fri 14-Mar-14 11:27:05

Have a chat with CPL and tell them exactly what you've just said on here. They will probably pay for the neutering. Poor thing is howling because he has the raging horn and you're not letting him out for a shag (quite right too). Perhaps whilst he's out getting his knackers removed they can clip his matted hair off.
Just FYI, the desperate need for spreading his seed may not stop for around 4 weeks or so. Good luck!

piratecat Fri 14-Mar-14 11:31:36

yes CPL here have a deal with some vets and help with cheaper neutering, worth a shot?

ToFollowJulie Fri 14-Mar-14 11:32:34

I took a stray in under similar circumstances (although it took me 8 months to get him inside!). When we caught him I took him to the vet to look for a chip and to ask for an assessment of what needed doing. They also did a test for Feline HIV (I think) which was negative. I took him back the next day to be neutered and chipped. They also cleaned him up a good deal while he was under anaesthetic (which saved me a few scratches!). Once he came home I kept him in for 2 weeks, during which he turned from a ferocious beast to a soppy boy smile

ToFollowJulie Fri 14-Mar-14 11:33:37

Just looked at his picture. He's lovely!

DrownedGirl Fri 14-Mar-14 11:34:00

We took in a tomcat before Christmas ... Once he was neutered he was quite transformed

He's not rejecting the food and stuff .. Once neutered he will settle with you

What a kind thing you have done for him

Personally I wouldn't do an HIV test. Even if he does have it he won't be passing it on when he's neutered, and it's also not that likely to adversely affect him in any way.

And yes, he'll probably turn into a soppy boy very soon.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Mar-14 11:38:51

Besides - by my memory, you only have 4 permanent residents at the moment - which give you two vacancies? wink

issey6cats Fri 14-Mar-14 12:48:23

thank you all for the replies the rescue i work for only pays for official fosters from them so i will have to pay for him, hes ok today and yes hes a lot more matted than he looks hes now totally bald round his neck as these were the worst matts and bless him hes been really good about letting me cut them out a bit at a time with scissors, will book him in for the snip next week and see how it goes from there, wont do the hiv test as hes fine with the others and yes cozie there is a vacancy now for a kitten as chloe went off to live on a farm (as indoor/outdoor kit) in thirsk today feel sorry for the mice population round there as she chases anything that moves so i think shes going to be a hunter lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now