Siberian Forest Cats - anyone got experience?

(9 Posts)
hanette Thu 13-Mar-14 20:43:29

Hi

I am thinking of getting two Siberian Forest Kittens. Have been a cat owner for last 17 years but sadly none at the moment.

I have been researching this breed and they sound fantastic fun and good company. So - any tips about buying from breeders or elsewhere much appreciated. Also I was planning to get 2 females but it seems like males are more common. Are the temperaments different between sexes? Would one of each get along?

I am moving house shortly so it won't be for a few months so 'putting my name down' for kittens with a breeder wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance

I haven't any experience. However why are you thinking of paying someone to bring yet more cats into a world where there already aren't enough homes to go round? Can't you consider rescue? If you go to a rescue then you will be able to find a bonded pair with just the right sort of temperament to suit you.

Queenofknickers Thu 13-Mar-14 21:07:10

Please please consider rescue kittens - there are SO many about to be born. My two are the most beautiful, loving cats I've ever had.

cozietoesie Thu 13-Mar-14 21:09:14

Or if you're sold on the breed, why not make contact with the Siberian Cat Club and have a chat about rehoming one. They have two at the moment who need a new home. (See the 'Rehoming' section on their website.)

hanette Thu 13-Mar-14 21:10:15

Hi

Yes I'm also considering rescue kittens as am option - my previous cats have all been homeless moggies. I'm just taken by the breed and wanted to know more before I decide what to do.

hanette Thu 13-Mar-14 21:12:07

Thank you Cozie - that's a great idea. The ones in need of a home look gorgeous

cozietoesie Thu 13-Mar-14 21:38:19

It would probably be worth even just phoning for a chat. The rescue coordinators for these breed clubs tend to be current or former owners/breeders of the breed concerned and know a great deal about them. They also frequently know of breed cats who haven't made it to the website for one reason or another and - if they like the cut of your jib -you might obtain an introduction to those.

hanette Thu 13-Mar-14 22:36:56

Thanks Cozie that's a great idea and I deffo will. I suppose what I am looking for is something completely different to what I've ever had before. Having just recently lost a cat I sort if feel the need for a total change itswim

hanette Thu 13-Mar-14 22:37:42

*iyswim!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now