Advice on moving with cats please

(8 Posts)
Madmog Thu 13-Mar-14 14:48:00

Can anyone give me any advice on moving with two old cats, on how to make it easier on them and help them settle in. Neither of them has ever been in a cattery, so whatever I do with them on removal day, it's going to upset them.

Think my girl will be more scared on the day, but after a couple of days think she will adjust as she adores our company and I'm hoping that will get her through.

Our boy, however, loves it outside and also has two local neighbours he often potters over to and sometimes even has a sleep there. He will be difficult to keep in (he used to meow to go out when he was a kitten and didn't even know what it was all about). I've asked neighbours not to give him any more snacks and have said I'd appreciate it if they slowly stopped letting him in (although one lot often have the back door open even in the winter).

Has anyone got any advice

cozietoesie Thu 13-Mar-14 16:21:28

I've undertaken serious house moves maybe eight or nine times and they've all been madness on the day, however well prepared we thought we were. It's almost impossible to remember to keep doors closed etc and nowadays, my recommendation would be to go for a couple of days in a decent cattery, even though my boys have always hated being separated. That way, you know that the cats are OK and can just get on with the moving business - and they don't come back until there's at least a semblance of order in the new place.

Are their shots etc up to date so that at least you have that option if you wish? (You would be as well to scout out a good cattery and establish what their provision and requirements are - but these days, they'll almost certainly be requiring current vaccinations, flea treatment and so on.) How far apart are the current and the new houses?

Madmog Fri 14-Mar-14 10:27:37

Thanks for your reply.

I've heard bad things from two people about our nearest cattery, so need to do a bit more research. My two have never been in a cattery so think it'll freak them out, so if we go for that option I might try and drop them off at 9am (or before). Luckily we can lock them in the conservatory until then and if the keys are taken out of the door and are in my bag, no one can get in there). The house we're moving into is much bigger and we won't have any furniture for one room, so they could go into there about 6pm if by any chance the removers are still around. Their vaccinations are all up to date, flu, leukemia and I think some sort of stomach one. I keep on top of flea treatment as one has a flea allergy, but like you say it's good to know if others have to do the same.

Our current and new house are very close - a two minute walk!

cozietoesie Fri 14-Mar-14 10:44:14

I guess it depends how organized you are (I'm variable) but catteries can be problematic if you have old cats who are a bit sensitive.

One other option to consider is to get a large dog crate and put them in that. (And some vet practices actually hire/lend them out for animals who need cage rest.) Using one of those would mean that they were contained but not in such tight circumstances as a carrier, they could move and stretch - and you would have room to put in tray, bedding, food/water etc.

Just a thought - and other posters may have more suggestions.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Mar-14 10:48:37

PS - and I do think it makes a big difference if they adore your company. I've actually taken my Siamese boys (individually) on UK holidays. They were so bonded that they didn't really care where they were as long as they had a tray, food and me.

Madmog Tue 18-Mar-14 11:24:40

Thanks for your replies.

I'm torn between taking them to a cattery where they will be safe but terrified as they've never been to one (they've only left home for the vets in 15 years) or trying to keep them with us. We could actually lock them in the conservatory and removers won't be able to get in, but they'll still be aware something's happening. This is fine, if we can stay here until new owners arrive and are able to get into our ongoing purchase. The new house is much bigger, so there will be one room with no furniture but it's by the front door, guess we'd have to make it clear from the start that room was out of bounds, put a notice up and we found tie the door handle to a cupboard handle (which won't be in the way), that way it would be hard to open.

Will look into the question of a large crate. My boy could actually go to a neighbours as they all adore him and he often sleeps in houses. That way, it's only my girl who would need to go in a crate.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Mar-14 11:41:51

It's really your call Madmog because you know them best. I should say that I've always moved with cats (keeping them separate at both ends with a tray and water) because my personal boys have been so bonded to me that they couldn't cope with a cattery. We organized ourselves beforehand (that's important) and went from there.

As long as you get into a routine as fast as possible in the new house they should be OK. They won't actually like the moving experience much but they should adapt fine.

Madmog Wed 19-Mar-14 10:42:28

Thanks a lot, cozietoesie. Whether they go into a cattery or not, that evening they'll go into the room where their litter trays will be kept, which is luckily in the same area as the cat flap. Quite a bit area, but we won't need to use it for a while ourselves, so they can have cosy bedding, toys. Sounds silly, but I might sleep at the other end of the room the first night, just so they know they have something else familiar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now