My dear cat died suddenly this afternoon

(73 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

BibiBlocksberg Tue 11-Mar-14 18:58:34

Got home from work, called him, he walked towards me, got as far as his favourite scratching mat by the front door.

Thought he'd have a stretch and scratch as usual, his legs buckled under him, went floppy and he was gone.

Rushed him to vets but I knew he'd gone when I put him in the carrier.

Vet thinks it was most likely undetected conginital (sp?) heart disease.

He was fine this morning, I had a gut feeling I should have stayed home today.

No one else to talk to so posting here to make some sense of it.

He was my heart and my soul, cleared away all cat related items already to save upsetting me at every turn.

its not working, he should be with me now, playing, snuggling, eating, he's everywhere still.

Anyone else had experience of losing a cat suddenly like this pls?

SummerRain Tue 11-Mar-14 19:02:11

I'm so sorry bibi flowers

Take care of yourself, it is a huge shock to the system losing a pet suddenly and it will take a while to get over

Goblinchild Tue 11-Mar-14 19:04:03

I'm so sorry, and it will take a long time to adjust to his absence.
I still keep catching sight of ours out of the corner of my eye, or I'm woken up by a trill.
But it's not him.
You loved your cat, he loved you and there was no pain or fear attached to his going. The difficulty is the hole he's left behind him. sad
I hope your family understands.

cozietoesie Tue 11-Mar-14 19:06:16

Yes I have Bibi - Darling Oneago, who was seemingly in the rudest of health, dropped dead one morning at only 8 years old, I've always guessed from a sever stroke or heart attack.

It's very hard.

My thoughts are with you.

DulcetMoans Tue 11-Mar-14 19:06:57

Oh how horrible. I am so sorry. My loss was a bit more dragged out than this but completely understand the feeling you have now when they should just be there.the first night especially.

Be kind to yourself, and take time to come to terms with it.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Tue 11-Mar-14 19:07:17

Oh, so sad for you, Bibi.
Cats are such wonderful creatures - isn't it so wonderful that he waited for you to come home to say goodbye. He knew you were close, so take comfort from the fact that he knew he was loved (and he loved you too).
thanks

QOD Tue 11-Mar-14 19:07:54

Awww so sorry x

shanks313 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:16:42

So sorry..we lost our 8 year old cat close to Xmas.He was okay one minute checking out our shopping then the next his legs gave way.
He had a blood clot which the vet thought was caused by his heart murmur.
It was very hard to realise he was gone..our other cat missed him so much and still does.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:17:04

You could never have predicted him passing so suddenly like that. I'm so sorry.

Branleuse Tue 11-Mar-14 19:17:23

jesus, wasnt expecting this to be about a cat when i read thread title in active conversations list.

im sorry about your cat

tess73 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:23:47

I'm sorry about your cat but i do think your thread title is very insensitive on a parenting website.

HolidayCriminal Tue 11-Mar-14 19:23:54

wow, so sorry. flowers

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:27:45

Not everyone on here is a parent, our pets are our babies & we love them fiercely.

I think it's insensitive to comment on it while op is recently bereaved.

Goblinchild Tue 11-Mar-14 19:34:12

It is in The Litter Tray, the correct section to talk about cats.
I do wish people would read posts and titles carefully.

TheAmyrlin Tue 11-Mar-14 19:36:33

So sorry. thanks

dunmopin Tue 11-Mar-14 19:37:16

so very sorry. take care of yourself

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Tue 11-Mar-14 19:38:33

jesus, wasnt expecting this to be about a cat when i read thread title in active conversations list.

It's in "The Litter Tray" - ????

BumWad Tue 11-Mar-14 19:42:37

Your title is a bit misleading

LiberalLibertine Tue 11-Mar-14 19:43:05

My heart stoppedWhen I read the title in active convos too, but soon saw it was the litter tray sad

This happened to me op, you back from a night out,ozric was curled up in chair in my bedroom,I crashed in bed, when I woke the next morning he was in exact same place, curled up dead, he was only 7.

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss flowers

BumWad Tue 11-Mar-14 19:43:29

Glad I'm not the only one Tess. It's not your baby is it? It's your pet dog/cat/fish or whatever.

LiberalLibertine Tue 11-Mar-14 19:45:10

Oh wind your neck in will you? Go over to AIBU if you fancy a row.

Mintyy Tue 11-Mar-14 19:45:23

So sorry Bibi.

Its in The Litter Tray topic (ffs).

knittedslippersx3 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:46:09

So sorry. xx

usualsuspect33 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:46:24

No need to be quite so nasty to the OP. The clue is in 'The Litter Tray'

Sorry about your cat. x

Goblinchild Tue 11-Mar-14 19:47:12

Take no notice of the snippy posters OP, they wanted to rush in and say their bit without reading or understanding what you were talking about.
You've probably had your cat and loved him longer than many MNetter's have their partners.
It's a good idea to have tidied things away, if he had a favourite spot it might also help to move furniture a bit and change what you are looking at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now