Lock the cats out to get a good nights sleep? Sorry long.

(15 Posts)
charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Tue 11-Mar-14 16:26:02

We have 2 cats, both 3 years old and have always been spoiled!

We had a baby last year and it has changed the logistics of where we sleep in the house.

My OH snores very loudly and I cannot sleep in the same room as him. I am such a light sleeper. He has been to the professionals about it, he cannot be operated on, and he was given a "mouth guard" to help with the snoring, but it hasnt helped. I cannot sleep in the same room as him.

I was sleeping in with baby, which was fine. But now he is getting bigger, it is better that he has his own room.

The only other place to sleep is in the sitting room, where the cat flap is located. We have both tried sleeping in the sitting room but are constantly disturbed by the coming and going of the cats.

Would it be cruel to lock the catflap at night so that we can both get a good night sleep? Its getting warmer now, so would it be so bad that they were locked out all night? We bought a little wooden cat house for them for this reason but they do not use it.

Any advice / tips?

crispyporkbelly Tue 11-Mar-14 16:34:36

I've done it. I was desperate for sleep as ds was waking me, then dh snoring, then when it finally went quiet the cats would start howling which would wake ds up - I could've killed them. I have a shed and put a nice big blanket in it for them and locked them out. Bliss.

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Tue 11-Mar-14 16:38:22

Glad it worked out for you Crispy!

I did try locking them out one night but they spent the whole time banging their heads against the catflap and howling...keeping me awake!!

In the throes of sleeplessness I imagine giving them away. But we love them too much.

Can't win.

Can't you lock them inside instead? It's safer for cats to be outside in the day and in at night anyway. Or can't you make your snoring partner sleep in the living room and you have the bedroom? - it sounds as though they wouldn't bother him.

crispyporkbelly Tue 11-Mar-14 16:46:53

sad I guess the way my house is laid out, I can't hear them at all! Try it for a couple of nights while its mild and they might adjust.

Do they sleep all day? I kept mine up a bit so they would sleep more at night

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Tue 11-Mar-14 16:50:17

Hi TheCat

Thanks for replying.

Have tried keeping them indoors but they just scratch and howl to get out. Then they start fighting each other. They make such a racket!

My OH is also disturbed by the cats when he sleeps in the sitting room, plus he has a history of bad back and our sofabed is not good for it. We do take it in turns in sitting room and in with my DC but neither are ideal and whoever is not sleeping in the "main" room, doesn't get much sleep at all.

Its like musical beds in our house at the moment. I have even considered making up a campbed in the hallway but it wouldnt be big enough!!

Oh and we have tried earplugs too - without any joy

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Tue 11-Mar-14 16:53:04

Crispy - thats what my mum said, "train" them to stay out. She thinks sooner or later they will adjust.

I was reluctant to do it with the cold weather but now its milder...

What do we do in the winter though!! Maybe I have to accept that sleep is going to be dramatically reduced in the Charlietango household in the coming years!! sad

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 11-Mar-14 18:08:23

What if they got hit by a car at night though? You'd feel awful.

crispyporkbelly Tue 11-Mar-14 18:57:17

When its cold I lock them in the kitchen with a litter tray, could that be an option?

OTheHugeManatee Tue 11-Mar-14 18:59:22

Why can't your DH sleep in the sitting room? confused

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Wed 12-Mar-14 07:20:22

Crispy that's a great idea about putting them in kitchen. They can get in and out the window to the garden from there too so it's perfect! I'm going to try it tonight. Cannot believe we did think of it. Thank you!! [Thanks]

Sparklingbrook Wed 12-Mar-14 07:38:20

YY please lock them in and not out. More sleepless nights will ensue if the cats go missing overnight.

sad re your OH, for you and for him as well.

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Wed 12-Mar-14 07:45:20

Hi sparkling, I would hate to lock them in or out. They have always had the choice of whether they want to go out at night or stay in. So the kitchen is perfect. I will have to adjust the window lock so that they can fit in and out but that's something simple of easy to do. It's a perfect solution!!!

Sparklingbrook Wed 12-Mar-14 09:35:07

I really hope you manage to sort it. Baby, cats, OH snoring you must be exhausted. Good luck x

crispyporkbelly Wed 12-Mar-14 11:21:23

Glad to help smile let us know how it goes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now