:( Good thoughts for my little girl please

(14 Posts)
Blithereens Tue 11-Mar-14 11:05:40

Took cats for annual jabs this morning. My boy is hale and hearty as always, but my little girl has suffered rapid weight loss over the last few weeks. She also seems very dehydrated. She is already on long term hormonal and optical meds, and the(fantastic, I love him) vet had to shave her throat to take a load of blood samples. She bled everywhere, it was horrible and now she's got a big bruised bald patch sad

We're waiting to hear the results. Most likely either diabetes or hypothyroidism - definitely hoping for the former as it's much easier to treat!! Cost the flaming Earth for the blood tests of course but we've got insurance.

Just so worried about my little princess. She's my little mate. She's been through so much in her little life - she's got three legs as well as everything else! - and I just wish things could be easy for her for once.

Any hand-holding would be much appreciated while we wait for news.

cozietoesie Tue 11-Mar-14 11:12:03

Aw Blithereens - all the best for her. (How old is she?)

My boy hates having bloods done and last time there was blood everywhere as well. In fact the vet now shaves both sides of his neck because she knows that one side isn't going to be enough because he'll wriggle out of it. It does look awful though on his white throat and the patch seems to take so long to cover over.

When, roughly, should you get the results?

Blithereens Tue 11-Mar-14 11:34:47

Thanks cozie - we think she is about 7 but the vet thinks she might be older! It's hard to tell with rescues.

Our vet is wonderful and is speeding the samples through an external lab today. He hopes to get back to us this afternoon with some news.

cozietoesie Tue 11-Mar-14 11:54:56

Gosh that's fast. Let us know the results when they come in.

DidoTheDodo Tue 11-Mar-14 12:23:16

Good luck - hope your kitty is ok and that the results show up something simple to correct.

HarpyFishwifeTwat Tue 11-Mar-14 15:43:44

Here for hand-holding. Hope all is ok with your little girl.

flowers

Blithereens Wed 12-Mar-14 19:12:49

Thank you all for good thoughts thanks

We had to take her back in today. She is diabetic. So the vet taught me how to give her insulin, which I have to do twice a day, every day. That's our weekend away cancelled! And we came home with a big bag full of medicine (she needed antibiotics as well), a box of needles and a sharps bin! People will think we're ~under the influence~

The vet is hopeful that we will see an improvement pretty soon.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:05:06

Human diabetics respond quickly to treatment. Did you bring her home tonight?.

RabbitPies Thu 13-Mar-14 22:23:17

How is she?

RabbitPies Thu 13-Mar-14 22:24:52

Sorry misread the date of your post. I hope she picks up soon.

6cats3gingerkittens Fri 14-Mar-14 06:15:17

Loving thoughts on their way and a warm paw for holding. X

Blithereens Sat 15-Mar-14 16:26:56

Hi again,

Well, she's been having the insulin injections and antibiotics for four days now, and she seems full of beans! Very cheerful and energetic. I also think she is drinking slightly less, which would be a good sign.

Have to phone the vet to give an update on Tuesday, and she will probably get weighed in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed!

Thanks so much for thinking of us smile

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 15-Mar-14 16:35:28

That's lovely, she must feel so much better now. Does she mind her injections?.

Blithereens Sat 15-Mar-14 22:01:51

No, she doesn't seem to able to feel them really. She doesn't like the antibiotic tablets but they're only for a few more days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now