Help my cat is in critical condition

(43 Posts)
HadABadDay2014 Thu 06-Mar-14 17:56:50

Posted about regretting getting my girl spayed.

Well she hasn't been right, was walking today so took her to the vets.

She has kidney faliure and is very weak, severely dehydrated and it's touch and go.

She has to stay in over night and I am missing her so much.

Waiting on an update at 7.

Sat her breaking my heart, hope I don't lose her sad

Oh my god!! I hope she pulls through. Complications from routine ops are so unbelievably rare. I'm so sorry this has happened.

Here for a handhold. Horrible isn't it, my girl had an overnight vet stay earlier in the week and is thankfully back home now. Hope your girl improves soon.

cozietoesie Thu 06-Mar-14 18:03:57

Oh My Goodness. Fingers crossed here. Let us know what happens at 7.

HadABadDay2014 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:07:27

Will do.

She is the first cat I have ever had, I feel like I have let her down and made her have have this op for my own selfish needs of not wanting to deal with pregnancy birth and finding suitable homes.

shallweshop Thu 06-Mar-14 18:12:14

You are not selfish to have your cat spayed. You are a responsible cat owner. There are far too many unwanted kittens out there already and any animal rescue centre would advise you to have a pet spayed/neutered. It just sounds as though you and your poor cat have been very unlucky sad.

I really hope you get some positive news later.

Never, never think that. Spaying is absolutely vital. Apart from the fact that it's more or less impossible to find homes for all those kittens (possibly 10 or 12 a year, for years and years, having kittens is quite dangerous for the mothers and a number die giving birth. Those that don't suffer a terrible strain on their bodies. And a cat that is unneutered and kept inside suffers terribly and often ends up psychotic.

You did it for her and for all the unwanted cats in the world. You did the right thing. As I said, complications like this are unbelievably rare. It's awful this has happened but it couldn't be foreseen and it certainly isn't your fault.

HadABadDay2014 Thu 06-Mar-14 19:24:03

Still waiting on the vets to call back, they must be busy with the animals.

cozietoesie Thu 06-Mar-14 19:25:46

OK. Hang in there.

QueenOfTheSlipstream Thu 06-Mar-14 19:25:53

Oh I'm so sorry! Everything crossed she's home with you soon.

HadABadDay2014 Thu 06-Mar-14 20:40:50

Slight improvement, going to ring in the morning.

cozietoesie Thu 06-Mar-14 20:46:32

Well that's something. Were you able to speak to the vet?

Oh and by the way. I agree entirely with thecatneuterer. Spaying is vital for a female cat and any complications (if this is as a result of the anaesthesia) are extremely rare - much rarer, as I understand it, than the risks for a cat of giving birth.

You did absolutely the right thing.

HadABadDay2014 Thu 06-Mar-14 22:04:19

Thanks all.

Not able to speak with the vet as she was busy, but the receptionist who was lovely.

issey6cats Fri 07-Mar-14 00:27:43

will keep my fingers crossed for her recovery on the other side of this coin, the rescue i work for has just lost a mom cat to heart failure after she had her kittens two weeks ago only two years old , if her previous owner had her spayed she would not have gone through the strain of birthing and left her babies orphans so dont feel guilty because you have done the right thing, if she hasnt drunk for a couple of days it will have put a strain on her kidneys

cozietoesie Fri 07-Mar-14 11:57:00

Any news today, Had ?

HadABadDay2014 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:17:27

Went and visit her today and seems loads better.

Got to wait another 48 hours now to see how she goes.

Feel a lot better after seeing her and giving her a hug and a smooth.

She has a catheter and a drip. Still quiet but I hope she gets well soon.

HadABadDay2014 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:18:29

The vet is hopeful, but did warn us that the worse still can happen.

cozietoesie Fri 07-Mar-14 19:20:49

I bet your presence, even for a while, made a big difference though.

Has the vet given you any diagnosis?

I'm very glad to hear that update. Let's hope she continues to recover.

HadABadDay2014 Sat 08-Mar-14 01:58:26

It is kidney faliure but I need to wait it out to see if she recovers.

fuzerelli Sat 08-Mar-14 02:16:14

I hope everything continues to improve and she's home with you soon. You are doing all you can. Please don't regret spaying her, it was the responsible thing to do and you weren't to know she would have complications. It is very rare.

Snog Sat 08-Mar-14 07:53:34

Spaying her was the right decision OP. Hope your cat continues to improve and thanks for you both.

HadABadDay2014 Sun 09-Mar-14 19:21:46

She will hopefully be home, the vets have fallen in love with her.

Eating a lot more now and seeing and pooing normally. She coming off the drip tonight and if all is well she is coming home. The vets did warn us that if she goes down hill after the drip is removed then it will be time to let her go, but we are all hopeful that she will make a recovery.

cozietoesie Sun 09-Mar-14 19:31:10

Fingers crossed for her.

Snog Mon 10-Mar-14 06:35:48

sending my best to you and your kittysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now