Cats who like cheese?

(48 Posts)
Weegiemum Wed 05-Mar-14 14:12:23

We have a lovely 21 week old boy, about to have his "op". He's the only totally black cat I've ever met (just boasting, really!)

His very favourite thing he loves is cheese! If one little bit falls to the ground, if you leave a sandwich unattended, if we've had macaroni cheese for tea and there are bowls - it's his!

I'm not a very experienced cat owner and wondered if this is normal or if it shows a deficiency in his diet (he's on kitten pouches and high quality biscuits as advised by our vet. I'm too blush to ring the vet and ask if cats are supposed to eat cheese!

youbethemummylion Fri 07-Mar-14 23:48:50

Our cat eats anything and everything. She licks the plates clean after a VERY spicy curry, eats raw broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, devoured all the dried mixed herbs I spilled on the floor, loves coco pops. But when we ran out of cat food we gave her dog food as emergency measures she turned her nose up at it and ate the kids toast instead!

Catsmamma Fri 07-Mar-14 23:55:45

it's the dog who eats lettuce here. Well one of them....the other looks at it sadly

Faerie will attempt to nibble the homebaking, I'd forgotten that. She is Reuben's sister.

AND the cabbage eating cat used to love chilli, he would eat any leftovers but spit out the beans and rice and he once ate my lovingly nurtured, from seed, chillies right from the plant as they ripened. One day there were about six of them, and then suddenly they were gone.

ChubbyKitty Sat 08-Mar-14 01:37:25

Reuben sounds amazing!grin

I see a lot of kitties loving home baking and not store bought cakes. Maybe it's a sign? I couldn't tell you what kind of sign, but a sign..

Mine will lick the bowl after I've had bean flakes. Soggy bran crumbs mmmm!confused

And when DP gets home from swimming she chews his hair. Much to my entertainmentwink

Treasures Sat 08-Mar-14 01:50:45

My boy cat adores cheddar every now and then, also the occasional splash of milk. He will also scrounge for fish, chips, kebab, pizza, chilli, pasta, yogurt, ice cream... you name it, he'll beg for it! He hardly ever gets a scrap of any of these though, don't want a poorly fat cat! He also tries to eat the edge of the carpet occasionally, I have no idea what that's all about, lol!

ChubbyKitty Sat 08-Mar-14 01:59:32

Any other cats who like cardboard? I'm making some scrapbooks for my bridesmaids and one has been chewed on the cover. hmm Just one, mind.

nooka Sat 08-Mar-14 02:41:57

Our current cats only eat kibble, no interest in human food at all. Not even fish! They do hunt quite a bit though, and fat cat will happily eat the dogs food as well as his own. Dog just stands there looking at him!

One of our old cats liked to eat all sorts of weird things, cheese included. Curry, honey, syrup were all enjoyed. We used to joke that he must have lost his sense of taste, but looking at this thread it seems he was relatively normal!

BillyBanter Sat 08-Mar-14 02:48:50

My childhood cat loved cheese. sometimes we'd feed her cheese while she sat on a purple fluffy cushion, very much like how I imagine the queen eats cheese.

goodasitgets Sat 08-Mar-14 03:28:36

Animals are very bizarre. A friends horse once pinned me in a corner to Hoover up the dried cranberries I was eating hmm
With floppy ears and a look of utter bliss on her face. Now her preferred treat over polos and carrots
Cat here goes mad for scrambled eggs

cozietoesie Sat 08-Mar-14 05:39:31

I'm sorry, Catsmamma , but Reuben is a nutter.

Peas?

grin

mrsnec Sat 08-Mar-14 05:47:37

I tried feeding necat cheese as she has a good sniff when I eat it and I've often caught her trying to get her stripey paws in a lasagna or fish pie she does like the cheese temptations though and the yellow ones in her biscuits. I sometimes go through them and put the yellow ones on the top to save her the effort of sorting them I can tell that annoys her. She'd only eat actual cheese if she took it from my plate.

SomewhereBeyondTheSea Sat 08-Mar-14 08:30:46

Of my two, the grumpy tabby likes to lick buttery Marmite off my toast (yuk), and has also been known to lick the froth on a pint of Guinness (obviously I didn't approve of this either). Oh and I keep catching her in the garden, 'loving' (*squashing) my rosemary bush - the smell seems to have a catnip-like effect on her. Actual catnip does nothing whatsoever though.

The crazy black and white kitten will try and eat absolutely everything, even random bits of dirt on the floor. The worst was probably raw garlic, when it was accidentally dropped.

Personality-wise, they are basically Leonard Cohen vs Bez from the Happy Mondays.

cozietoesie Sat 08-Mar-14 08:33:16

Too right, Somewhere. Garlic is bad for them.

SomewhereBeyondTheSea Sat 08-Mar-14 09:02:18

Yes and so is Guinness grin

cozietoesie Sat 08-Mar-14 09:08:58

Did she look pie-eyed?

Weegiemum Sun 09-Mar-14 02:22:59

Cat bolted out the front door yesterday

Cheese brought him home!!

cozietoesie Sun 09-Mar-14 05:32:27

Always useful to know something like that. smile

When is his op due?

Fuzzymum1 Sun 09-Mar-14 10:42:00

When one of ours was at deaths door with kidney failure, cheese was the one thing she would eat - it's not good for them, and especially not good for her with her kidney issues but the vet said anything that would get her started eating again was good - she very rarely gets any now though, but she still begs for tit every time she sees the grater come out.

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Mon 10-Mar-14 10:33:48

Yup, mine love cheese.
And mayonnaise, and any attempt to eat egg mayonnaise needs military planning. Home made of course. I have it with prawns. They ignore the prawns.

Same with philadelphia.

Daft Maine coone boy will steal my breakfast cereal. I eat it without milk ....
Tomato based pasta sauces - yup. And margarine.
None of the three will countenance lactose free milk! I've never seen such a mixture of disgust and disappointment in my life.

I am however a very naughty mum and let them all lick the dinner plates clean.

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Mon 10-Mar-14 10:36:07

Oh yes, and old ginger cat (RIP) would steal a pizza slice from right out of your mouth!

dunmopin Wed 12-Mar-14 16:13:24

My cat only seems to like hard/ semi hard cheeses, like parmesan, cheddar, Caerphilly... if you have a bit of camembert she'll jump up to see what you're eating and then go "oh how boring" and mooch off.

cozietoesie Wed 12-Mar-14 16:48:41

I made cauliflower cheese the other night and while the dishes were extremely clean, Seniorboy polished them so well that they barely needed a wash afterwards!

RubbishMantra Wed 26-Mar-14 21:21:46

Mine purrs loudly whilst watching us eat - he may politely have a little taste if offered, but seems to prefer his own food. Oh, he does go mad for coffee though. I used to have a cat who would gobble up string if you didn't pull it out of her mouth quickly enough...

Fuzzymum1 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:37:26

Our oldest cat adores cheese - she begs and begs for it but as she's on a renal diet she rarely gets any, usually just a few crumbs that fall on the floor when one of us grates cheese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now