fleas?

(9 Posts)
sexypantsformum Tue 04-Mar-14 19:05:54

family cat has fleas! for the first time ever. i have been reguarly treating him but obvs the treatment is no longer working.
ive been and got new treatment, and begun the cleaning process, spraying kill stuff, lots of hoovering. what else do i need to do? ive never been in this position before!

Mogz Tue 04-Mar-14 19:44:26

What treatment we you using? I find that only Advocate or Frontline works these days.
Spray everything, Hoover the next day, wait a week and repeat, then again. Hot wash for cushion covers and bedding.
If it doesn't work your local council should offer a pest extermination service.
Little buggers aren't they?

cozietoesie Tue 04-Mar-14 19:49:39

Does your cat go outside at all and maybe hole up in a garage or shed ? In olden days we had a cat who had a daytime bed of old sacks in the potting shed. Unfortunately, when he wasn't there, a bunch of flea-ridden neighbourhood toms used to go there also.

If he goes out and has a bolthole with a blanket or something, do that also.

sexypantsformum Tue 04-Mar-14 21:14:56

we have got advocate.
he goes in and out all day long!

Advocate is a good one, and certainly better than Frontline. So is Advocate what you were using that appears to be no longer working or what you are using now?

sexypantsformum Tue 04-Mar-14 21:21:10

i was using frontline, had treated him under a month ago. switched to advocate now.

Ah, that's it then. Yes I'm afraid Frontline is losing it's effectiveness as fleas are becoming resistant to the formula. So yes, Advocate is the way to go, and for the house spray use Acclaim or Indorex.

sexypantsformum Tue 04-Mar-14 21:25:40

so is it a basic job of keep cleaning and hoovering?

cozietoesie Tue 04-Mar-14 21:45:22

Hoover like mad, paying particular attention to edges of carpets/floors/skirting boards and cracks - eg between floor boards. (Those are also good places to direct the Indorex when you spray.) But hoovering is your big friend - I'd do it both before and after spraying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now