who can give their cats worming tablets?!

(24 Posts)
sonsmum Mon 03-Mar-14 21:12:03

yesterday it was our first time administering this worming pill to our cat who we got in December. We watched the videos of people giving these pills and it looks so easy!
So last night we tried to copy and had no luck whatsoever! We just about got her mouth open when her head went back, but i was going nowhere near those teeth, plus she was wriggling and making noises! We tried mixing with treats - no luck. We crushed and added to food, no luck, so today had to take her to the vet who gave her the pill via a pippete in seconds. Job done but feel disillusioned!
Can you all give these pills yourself? Any great tips??! There is one dude on youtube who drools into their mouth with the pill, now that is disgusting and totally unnecessary?

If they're greedy cats then I use Milbemax (apparently it doesn't taste too bad) crushed into Gourmet Gold pate (which is sort of sticky so none of the bits get left behind.

If it's a cat that will only eat dried food say so that doesn't work, then I swaddle in a towel/throw, so only the head is poking out and the claws can't get me. Hold the cat down on my lap, prise open the mouth and put the pill right at the back of the mouth by the throat. close the mouth and hold closed for a few seconds. Until you get the hang of this it may be handy to have an extra pair of hands.

issey6cats Mon 03-Mar-14 21:17:17

having given lots of worm tablets to cats of all tempremts at the rescue i have found the best way of doing it is sit the cat on your lap facing away from you , tip their head back and drop the tablet down into their throat, and then hold their jaw shut with their head upwards and wait eventually the cat gives in and swallows dosent work every time, though i think one cat got the pill six times before she gave in, i just say to them i have all the time in the world lol

BingoWingsBeGone Mon 03-Mar-14 21:18:17

I use the liquid you drip on the back of their neck. Much easier!

Stockhausen Mon 03-Mar-14 21:20:46

We got amazing stuff from the vets one time, looked like oxo cubes, they wolfed it!

CocktailQueen Mon 03-Mar-14 21:24:33

I rethink the liquid you drip on the back of their necks is a flea treatment, not worms!!

Open their mouth. Wrap cat in towel first. Wedge thumb in Mouth to keep it open. Wrap tablet in ham or tuna. Pop it in. Then stroke down their throat till they swallow. Sorted!!

LeBearPolar Mon 03-Mar-14 21:28:48

Our boys are fine about worming - tablet in, stroke their throat, they swallow: job done.

Our girl turns into the evil bitch queen from hell. She jams her mouth shut and it is impossible to prise open. She refused to eat yesterday because she could tell that the ground up half a tablet had been mixed into her food. So we'll have to take her to the vet and pay a professional to do it (grrrr)

StripesSpotsNoChecks Mon 03-Mar-14 21:30:11

Ha! Not us, I always ask the nurses to do it when we are at the vets. They do it with embarrassing ease.

FunkyBarnYard Mon 03-Mar-14 21:31:48

Me. I am regularly called upon my friends to dose theirs as well. I have 'the knack'

cozietoesie Mon 03-Mar-14 21:33:51

Couldn't give any of mine pills to save myself. (They all despise them.)

I use spot on.

PurpleBoot Mon 03-Mar-14 21:37:59

Crush pill, mix with a small amount of butter or marg, smear on cat's lips and they are forced to lick it off!

BingoWingsBeGone Mon 03-Mar-14 21:40:44

cocktailqueen

flea & worming drops

cozietoesie Mon 03-Mar-14 21:42:04

Wouldn't work with my lot. They'd find something (something expensive) to wipe it off on.

Bluestocking Mon 03-Mar-14 21:42:19

There is a worm treatment which you administer via a drop on the back of the neck. My vet reckons the drops are much better because most cats are so hard to get a tablet into.

GemmaTeller Mon 03-Mar-14 21:43:42

We had this trauma last week with boy cat and Drontal tablets!

tried holding him while DH gave him the tablet - he went mental
DH tried to hold him while I gave him the tablet - he went mental
crushed one up in his food - he didn't eat for a day

As a last resort before asking the vet to do it, I went to give him a cuddle when he was asleep on our bed, when he yawned I dropped the tablet in and he swallowed it in shock!

The dogs have theirs in little marmite sandwiches grin

cozietoesie Mon 03-Mar-14 21:48:27

Dogs are a doddle by comparison. A combination of orders and bribery works in seconds, usually.

Opheliabumps Mon 03-Mar-14 21:51:57

I have hidden them in a bit of corned beef, sort of mould the beef round the tablet, and my old boy loved corned beef so much he wolfed it down without realising grin

However as he got older and needed lots of tablets for different conditions I got one of the vets' pipette things, which worked a treat and was much easier for both of us.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 03-Mar-14 22:48:20

You have just got to be brave and put your fingers in, we are just brave.
Bingo the advocate only dose roundworm, you still need to dose twice yearly for tapeworm.
The hints are it is only a month to golden bullet though, huge vet conference opens on 3rd of April and that is rumoured to be the daygrin.

cozietoesie Mon 03-Mar-14 22:49:41

Oh goody. Shall you give us the news? (In case it doesn't make it to the headlines.)

tabulahrasa Tue 04-Mar-14 01:34:44

One of mine is dead obliging and just let's me shove tablets in her mouth...the other one I stalk all day waiting for her to fall asleep in a handy position and then I sneak up in her, as long as I'm quick she's swallowed it before she's worked out what's going on.

IamtheZombie Tue 04-Mar-14 03:02:29

Wrap the tablet in tuna. Hold under cat's nose. Mind your fingers as cat gobbles it down.

Repeat for each cat. (3 for Zombie).

Divide up the rest of the tin of tuna and put down as treat / supper.

It's worked for Zombie for 6 years.

QuietTiger Wed 05-Mar-14 17:26:22

Try Profender from your vet. It is a spot on that goes on the back of the neck like flea treatment and is very, very effective. Saves the whole pill hassle too.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:12:23

They need to do an injection wormer combined with stronghold. Now that I would pay good money for.

catameringue Wed 12-Mar-14 09:04:54

Get one of those pill syringes from the vets.
Trap cat between legs.
very quickly grab the head in a pincer by the upper jaw and gently lift head up.
hold syringe next to mouth. Tease jaw open. The second it does, ram the pill dispenser in there quite far back of the throat. Stroke cat chin to stimulate a swallow. Feed a treat to trick it further into swallowing.
Takes about 15 seconds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now