dead baby rabbit in my bedroom

(56 Posts)
maniacbug Fri 07-Feb-14 05:51:35

<sigh>
We have three cats (technically still kittens) and are pretty rural.
Our middle one often wakes me up at around 5am, and when she's doing her deep guttural growl and scuffling about a bit I know she's caught something. Usually it's a mouse or a vole and I intercept if I can or (and I know this is probably bad) leave her to it and then dispose of whatever's left. But this morning, it was a whole baby rabbit. Christ knows how she got it through the cat flap. It was clearly dead but she hadn't started dismembering it or anything. I took it off her, closed its poor little eyes, wrapped it in a cloth and put it in the larder, behind a closed door so she can't get at it. My question is: what do I do with it?! If I take it outside there's a high chance she will find it and bring it in again. I can't put it in the bin, can I? Or the food waste. WWYD?

cozietoesie Sat 08-Feb-14 10:19:51

The Lodger had brought himself up on the streets (after being abandoned) and had found much of his diet by thieving from local houses and local takeaways. Until he got into his swing with the local small mammals, we used to get presents of spare ribs and chops.

AthelstaneTheUnready Sat 08-Feb-14 10:21:54

Awww, poor damp pissed off chickens, all reeking of cat spit grin

AthelstaneTheUnready Sat 08-Feb-14 10:22:21

* dog. apologies. YABU.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 08-Feb-14 15:39:24

If my dog scaled any fence and brought me chickens he'd get his arse kicked all the way back to the chicken coop. confused

HelloBoys Tue 11-Feb-14 10:21:43

My cats used to bring in:-

White boy cat = Wood pigeons etc dead or alive.
White cat and black and white sister = field mice, real mice, frogs, catch things by pond etc and odd bird.

What they DID NOT LIKE and were scared to death of were rats.... we tried them to get one once in living room and cats both petrified. Bear in mind these are NOT small cats - both large and quite boisterous.

They used to dart along middle bit of pond at least B&W one did until she fell in, got tangled in net and almost drowned... I was there don't worry...

They had a brother (big, white) next door who also helped them a lot. Bless them.

HelloBoys Tue 11-Feb-14 10:22:21

by real mice I mean bigger than field ones...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now