How do I get my alleged CAT to use CAT flap?

(13 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 05-Feb-14 10:06:34

She's a cat = use cat flap as access point.

NOT the bathroom window. Which isn't always open. So she sits on the roof outside and miaows till we open the window.

There is a CAT FLAP!

I put her in the room (utility) where the cat flap is, left some treats on both sides of the flap and shut the door. When I opened the door later, she scarpered having eaten the treats on this side of the flap but not the other side hmm

kaizen Wed 05-Feb-14 10:15:15

You might have to tie it open for a bit or hold it open and 'help' her through (not that you have anything better to do...). i had to leave mine propped open as she didn't like the 'feel' of it on her back (poor thing....)
i did this for weeks, with a howling gail blowing through the house, then accidently left it shut after she had gone out, and low and behold, she was back in the house later walking aroudn as if nothing had happened. Fucker!! Having said that, i am now holding the front door open for her to go outside and wee and run back in quickly, as the weather is sooooo bad that she can't possibly go round to the back to get in and out grin

cozietoesie Wed 05-Feb-14 10:24:10

...So she sits on the roof outside and miaows till we open the window.....

Which you then do, eh?

That's called being under the paw, I'm afraid. You need to hang a little tougher.

grin

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Feb-14 10:29:48

Mine all use the cat flap quite happily, but have preferred entry points like the front door. And cat3 will claw the seal on the front window double glazing if you ignore her.

Cat1 has now trained the dog to bark at me to open the patio doors to let cat1 in hmm

kaizen Wed 05-Feb-14 10:51:56

just remembered that my last cat used to knock on the bloody flap with his paw, until we came out of the living room to let him in grin It used to get louder and louder until the flap was swinging open anyway - no point asking me for advice then, I'd probably end up using it myself and giving the cat a door key...

catameringue Wed 05-Feb-14 13:23:34

If I could enter the house by my preferred route I would, and this is what your cat is doing. My eldest cat has struggled with cat flaps, took about 4 months to get her using it and even now she'll try her luck to see if I'll hold it ooen for her. I did lots of cat posting through the flap, standing on the other side and rustling a treat bag, and then giving up and ignoring her. She eventually got it.

ClaimedByMe Ghana Wed 05-Feb-14 13:25:52

Our cat flap is on the back door, the cats used the back door hence putting the cat flap on it...now they use the front door sigh

No advice just sympathy.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 05-Feb-14 13:49:39

Sometimes I think you need a cat flap in every single door in the house.

I'd stop opening the window for her though. Tough love.

It's not easy when it's raining and you've got a little furry face pressed up to the glass though.

Dancergirl Wed 05-Feb-14 14:40:31

It's not easy when it's raining and you've got a little furry face pressed up to the glass though

Exactly! My dds go mad, let her in, let her in etc etc!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 05-Feb-14 15:40:25

grin

You mean owner you <rings cat social workers>

cozietoesie Wed 05-Feb-14 17:59:18

...My dds go mad, let her in, let her in etc etc!....

And that's what she's relying on. You all are wrapped round her little finger, I think.

grin

Labootin Wed 05-Feb-14 18:02:18

I used a trail of cat nip flavoured treats , I still had to bodily push her bum through the first time though she just sat there looking gormless.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 05-Feb-14 19:27:12

I'm no better, I have to put a fresh layer of scented litter in the tray every night or my cat wees in the house. If he doesn't see me do it he won't go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now