My lovely old boy vomited twice this morning, but now seems desperate for food!

(16 Posts)
Mintyy Tue 04-Feb-14 17:40:12

He's not usually a sicky cat but he had been sick in the night (luckily dh got up first and had to deal with it wink). We left him for a couple of hours and he was miaowing and begging for food so I gave him half a sachet of wet food, well chopped up.

He threw it all back up immediately!

That was at about 9 am, I've given him nothing all day. He's been a wee bit sorry for himself but still purring as soon as I touch him.

Now he's in the kitchen absolutely begging for food.

Do you think I should leave it til tomorrow? Do they get tummy bugs like humans?

Tia.

greenhill Tue 04-Feb-14 17:49:35

Poor thing. Do you have any dry food to give him? I was thinking it might be blander, but haven't got any experience of this.

cozietoesie Tue 04-Feb-14 18:43:08

The occasional cat sick just happens and it's possible that he was so hungry that he really pigged his breakfast - which could have the effect of bringing it up forthwith.

Maybe try him on real small amounts but a bit more frequently than normal and see how he gets on tonight?

How old is he?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:53:13

He might have eaten a plant that has disagreed with him, I'd try a small amount tonight and see if it stays down.

If it doesn't then get him to the vets tomorrow.

cozietoesie Tue 04-Feb-14 18:59:21

Yep.

You could always try him with a small amount of something bland - some chicken, say, if you have any around.

Mintyy Tue 04-Feb-14 20:18:34

Thank you.

I gave him about a tablespoon of food, really well chopped up, and shut him out in the garden to eat it and for half an hour afterwards.

He's back in now and seems ok, but I don't know if he threw up outside - too dark out there.

cozietoesie Tue 04-Feb-14 20:21:37

Assume he didn't and maybe let him have another tablespoon next time he asks.

It might also be worth considering giving him more stretched out nosh anyway. What is his normal feeding schedule?

cozietoesie Tue 04-Feb-14 20:23:38

Oh - and let him stay in (so that you can see what happens) but put some strategically placed open newspapers in each room. You'll normally get just enough warning from their 'plumbing noises' so can grab them and position them over the newspaper - or vice versa.

Mintyy Tue 04-Feb-14 20:57:20

Roffle at "plumbing noises".

I am a dyed-in-the-wool emetophobe, so I can't be sanguine about cats throwing up inside, even if on newspaper.

He is sitting quietly beside me now in classic sphinx pose smile and doesn't seem to want more food at the moment.

cozietoesie Tue 04-Feb-14 21:03:31

Fair enough. Just keep a weather eye on him then - and to the vet if he stops eating as well as throwing up, I think. He sounds peaceful enough though.

Mintyy Tue 04-Feb-14 21:05:54

Thank you cozie. He is a young 13, 14 at the end of the month. Infact, he was born 29th Feb 2000, so he is rather special (to me at least) !!

cozietoesie Tue 04-Feb-14 21:08:48

Hah. That's positively a stripling!

greenhill Wed 05-Feb-14 05:53:07

Was he ok overnight?

Mintyy Wed 05-Feb-14 12:48:49

Hi greenhill, thank you for asking. I've given him two tiny meals, one last night and one this morning - but both outside as a precaution - and I don't think he was sick again. He is looking quite annoyed with me, I think I'm going to have to give him a bit more before too long.

greenhill Wed 05-Feb-14 13:32:05

He's definitely on the mend if he's "quite annoyed" smile Hope he enjoys his next meal too.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Feb-14 20:03:54

Has he kept his tea down?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now