Any suggestions for stopping cats scratching leather furniture, please?

(6 Posts)

Tricky situation.

The 2 male cats belong to my DD2 & her ex. They broke up in November (but are still on amicable terms) - she came home & he went back to his mum's flat with the cats, but the flat is small & the cats (then about 8 months old) were scratching the leather chairs. DD2 will be moving in with a friend quite soon but her house is being slowly done up & it won't be for several more weeks if not longer.

So they came here, but I have 2 cats too (female), & the 4 of them have been living in a sort of armed truce, all of them quite stressed (& me too!)

DD's cats were based in her bedroom & my cats in the back room/kitchen; occasionally they would take it in turns to have the run of the house, occasionally they would all be out together, but there was a lot of suppressed hostility (no actual physical fighting) & now I have a kitten too, currently based in my bedroom, so the musical rooms situation was taking its toll.

His mother has now gone away for a month, so as he's there on his own he offered to have them there while she's away; but they've only been there a couple of days & are scratching the chairs again (of course hmm). I suspect part of the problem is that it's not big enough for them to hurtle around & wear off some energy. They have got 2 scratching posts.

He's tried putting a throw over one chair, but one cat wrestling with the throw made even more scratches.

Would clipping their claws help or would that just make wider scratches?

How about tying strips of carpet over the chairs while they're in the room?

I really don't want to go through introducing them back here again.

Any helpful suggestions?

issey6cats Sun 12-Jan-14 14:21:21

what i did when i bought my leather suite was got some olive oils and pure lemon juice mixed together and wiped it all over the leather and for me it worked, or another one that works is double sided sellotape put over the part they are scratching cats arent keen on citrus smell or their paws sticking to the tape, might be worth trying both

ooh, thanks for those, Issey - will give them a try!

PolterGoose Mon 13-Jan-14 18:25:46

Are their scratching posts tall enough, most are too short for adult cats, they should be tall enough that a cat can fully stretch and reach the top.

They used to have one about 3' tall & I assume they still have it but good point, Goose, I will check, thanks

Jellymum1 Mon 13-Jan-14 19:36:30

Mix some vix with warm water in a spray bottle and spray on furniture...they hate it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now