how often do you fully clean out the litter tray?

(58 Posts)
sonsmum Sat 11-Jan-14 17:12:12

By cleaning, I'm meaning a removal of all litter and a disinfectant clean and replacement with fresh litter. This is an enclosed tray for 1 cat's use.
I had anticipated doing this once every 3 weeks (litter packets says once a month). However utility room was starting to pong so I fully cleaned out the tray today and it is only 2 weeks since this was last done. The litter absolutely reeked. I can still smell it now in my nostrils. How often do you do a full clean?!

I wouldn't want it in my own compost bin, no grin

but we now have a council green waste bin, for garden waste & kitchen peelings etc. Assume I could put the litter in there, but it would be best to remove all the big bits first

(sometimes there are tiny bits, can't always get all of those out)

I'm considering trying Cats Best since the crystal stuff, & scooped poo, has to go to landfill, & I usually try to minimise our household contribution to that. Do you put all your cat poo down the loo?

I do yes, and the clumps of wee. So far no blockages! Been using it for about 2 months.

where do you put them to transport them between litter tray & loo? (or is your litter tray in the bathroom?)

Niklepic Mon 20-Jan-14 12:31:08

We've got to entirely change litter every 2 days. We've got 6 cats but only the 2 elderly gentlemen use the tray. One's been in renal failure for 5 years and pees a hell of a lot. We use catsan but it gets soaked through. Any recommendations for litter?

17leftfeet Mon 20-Jan-14 12:32:35

My cats are odd -they poo outside but choose to wee in the litter trays

I've got 2 trays, one is rarely used and gets cleaned out very occasionally
The other tray seems to be the tray of choice and I properly clean it every couple of weeks (they do wee outside sometimes) but you can absolutely guarantee that the second I put it down after cleaning, one or both will come and use it

I just take the trays to the bathroom and rest it on the edge of the bath while scooping.

catameringue Tue 21-Jan-14 20:37:53

You could use nappy bags to transport, which admittedly would go to landfill, but is less impact than poo plus crystals.

Or some kind of cat poo tupperware , that you don't tgen accidentally use for sandwiches? !

I was sort of thinking along Tupperware lines, catameringue

Ewww!!!

(But CAT POO in permanent marker should avoid unpleasant lunch incidents)

Currently I use bio-degradable dog poo bags for the big bits, & crystals are emptied into one of those charity doorstep bags (I always knew they would have a useful purpose one day...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now