Quick question about milk and cats.

(12 Posts)
BakerStreetSaxRift Sat 11-Jan-14 10:55:41

I know some cats are lactose intolerant, so you shouldn't give them normal milk but should give them kitten/cat milk instead.

But could I give my kitten lactose-free (human) milk, the purple stuff from the supermarket?

cozietoesie Sat 11-Jan-14 11:06:25

I straight don't know - and I've never tasted the stuff myself so I don't know if it's appealing. I would, however, be reluctant to encourage a taste which might be bad for them if it was close enough to something they might nick in the future. I'd stick to water personally.

BakerStreetSaxRift Sat 11-Jan-14 11:53:17

She just has water in her waterbowl, but she seems to have decided (after a Christmas of eating more fresh meat than usual) that she doesn.extant her dried food. putting a bit of milk on it gets her interested.

I should probably just stick it out until she's so hungry she caves! But I'm caving before her at the moment.

cozietoesie Sat 11-Jan-14 11:57:00

Does she get wet food at all? Many kittens/cats prefer some of that.

(That's the downside of Xmas. Two weeks of fresh roasted turkey/chicken/other meat can give them ideas above their pay grade. I'd hang a bit tougher myself - but I would also consider wet food for her. That's not necessarily caving.)

BakerStreetSaxRift Sat 11-Jan-14 12:28:26

Unfortunately wet food makes her vomit. She loves it though! Gobbles it down.

Most food makes her vomit actually, but wet food makes her do it the most, and it's often a stealth-vomit with wet (no yowling just before so you can't run and get her off the carpet/bed before she does it). With the dry she's only sick once a week and you get a bit of warning.

Pesky cat!

cozietoesie Sat 11-Jan-14 12:34:30

Loves it so much she's pigging it and then upchucks. Oh yeah.

If you want to get her used to it, real small quantities at first - a teaspoon or two and see how that goes.

Is she wormed etc?

cozietoesie Sat 11-Jan-14 12:35:46

Still - she shouldn't be bringing it up all the time. Did you mention that to the vet on her last consultation?

BakerStreetSaxRift Sat 11-Jan-14 12:59:44

Yes maybe really small amounts might help, I could give that a try. I noticed it was particularly bad then the wet food was really jelly-y, maybe just giving her small amounts of the meaty bit would help.

We've been givingIher plain fresh chicken first thing in the morning for the last month or so (it's always the mornings when she's sick) and that's helped a lot, but I'm aware there isn't enough taurine in chicken so I'm really keen for her to keep eating her good dry food too.

Vet says she's fine - very bright and alert so isn't concerned, just said kittens are sick sometimes. I still think she shouldn't be sick this much though sad She was wormed by the previous owners, then our vet wormed her again when we got her 4 months ago (she's 6 months, and just lovely, despite the sick!)

BakerStreetSaxRift Sat 11-Jan-14 13:08:29

The chicken in the morning wasn't stopping her eating the dry later on, but that coupled with the Christmas ham and turkey recently has sounded the death knell for the dry food!

Arf at ideas above their paygrade grin So right!

cozietoesie Sat 11-Jan-14 16:45:07

I feel edgy about this being sick every morning - it doesn't seem right even if the vet is happy with her, so I'd keep a close eye on her.

Just in case it's partly due to her gorging herself on an empty tummy full of overnight acids, I'd maybe try giving her a little 'pre-breakfast' of a very small amount of wet food, perhaps warmed a little, eg with a tiny splash of hot water. See how that goes.

WakeyTryingAgain Sun 12-Jan-14 09:47:18

I could be wrong but shouldn't she be wormed monthly at her age?
Is she going outside at all?
We had this with our cat, she was getting diarreah everytime she ate any food and it actually turned out that's she's meat intolerant, she's now on a fish only diet and we've put her on dry only using James Wellbeloved fish for kitten.....no more diarreah and a much happier kitty cat!

BakerStreetSaxRift Wed 15-Jan-14 21:17:37

Kittens need wormed EVERY month?! I did not know this shock She's still indoors at all times.

Wakey she's actually on the James Wellbeloved fish dry kitten food too grin I agree it's good. We put her on that a few month ago when she was being sick nearly every day, and that seemed to reduce it to once every 3 days, but always in the morning. We then started giving her chicken for the first feed each day and now she sometimes goes a full week between being sick.

Since I first posted, we've been warming her chicken in the morning, then dry food during the day and a small bit of wet in the evening (which she's pretty pleased about). Going okay so far, fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now