My cat has a swollen back leg and hasn't moved all day

(12 Posts)
Didyeaye Sat 11-Jan-14 20:58:48

Aww poor kitty! Feel your pain though, our wee fella appeared home this afternoon with a bust paw, cue trip to emergency vet with a hefty call charge! £180 later, he's been sedated, had it cleaned (lost most of a pad on one of his back paws) and all bandaged up. This is 2 months after something similar to yours, where he'd contracted an infection from a scratch in a fight. As PP said, infections can go bad realllly quickly. Vet said the lost pad today was due to a cut in the past couple of days which caused an abscess.

Oops, sorry to crash ur thread, hope ur wee kitty's feeling better!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 11-Jan-14 20:42:47

Yep, it was £60 last time mine had a bad fight & cut his eyelid.

Cat fights are not cheap sad

cozietoesie Sat 11-Jan-14 16:28:57

At least you know and she's had early attention - as above, they can go nasty quite quickly.

TheBuggerlugs Sat 11-Jan-14 16:05:16

£70 excess.

SilverApples Sat 11-Jan-14 15:57:06

No insurance?
I'm glad you dealt with it, deep bites go septic and vile very quickly.

TheBuggerlugs Sat 11-Jan-14 15:16:02

Been to the vets, two cat bites hidden deep in the fur of her leg. Antibiotics given and £70 paid for the 5 minute appointment. Bloody cats.

timtam23 Fri 10-Jan-14 21:52:54

I would give the out of hours vet a ring, does your vet do their own OOH or do they use someone else?

Hope she perks up soon

TheBuggerlugs Fri 10-Jan-14 19:06:35

I've given her some tuna in spring water so she's got something in her. I'm pretty sure it's a cat fight not a car hit, if she was hit by a car where we live she would be killed (close to m62)

The vet didn't seem overly concerned when we spoke to them and we described her symptoms. I think she just feels cack.

cozietoesie Fri 10-Jan-14 19:01:12

I'd go to an OOH vet this evening if I could, OP. She sounds very poorly.

mumnosbest Fri 10-Jan-14 19:00:46

I'd find an out of hrs vet. My cat looked ok on the outside when he'd been hit by a car but had lots of internal injuries. Best to check if you don't know what's happened x

HansieMom Fri 10-Jan-14 18:57:14

Do you have an emergency vet to go to? If not, get some fluids in her. You could use a straw to draw up water. I would get a bowl of warm water and soak her leg.

TheBuggerlugs Fri 10-Jan-14 18:54:07

I am a bad mother, I've only just realised that my cat hasn't moved from her bed all day. I picked her up out of it for a cuddle and she cried so I let her down and realised she was limping on her rear left leg. Her foot is swollen and there is dried blood in her bed under where she's been laid and a big blob on the floor under the table. I think she has had a fight and got a cat bite. I've got a vets appt for tomorrow but is there anything else I can do to help her? She hasn't eaten or drunk all day or been out to use the loo. I've offered her food and water and put her in her bed in front of the fire with a litter tray but she seems really miserable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now