Maine Coon?

(7 Posts)
NachoAddict Mon 06-Jan-14 17:54:44

Hi all, I have posted a thread in chat about my cat because they allow pictures.

Would anyone mind popping over and having a look please?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1958713-Could-he-be-a-Maine-Coon-Cross?msgid=44138227#44138227

issey6cats Mon 06-Jan-14 22:35:44

he looks like a black and white version of my big ginger and white hooligan and a friend of mine who has coonies said that mine isnt coonie cross and biscuit my one wheighs about 6kgs so hes a big lad

randomfemale Mon 06-Jan-14 22:40:51

I have two coonies - he's a lovely looking cat but he looks a lot like one of my previous cats who was a large cat but nothing like a maine coon. It's not just the looks they just act and sound different to any other cats too.

Pudtat Mon 06-Jan-14 22:55:34

The fur of a Coon is double layered 'shagpile' so often looks a bit of a mess blush rather than the 'Wegies where the long guard hairs make it all look sleek despite the under fluff.

Not sure if he's anything in particular but he's very handsome! smile

NachoAddict Tue 07-Jan-14 21:38:33

Sorry I totally missed these replies!

When I posted this I didn't actually know any cat breeds other than Maine Coon and my knowledge of that was large and furry!

I think he is just a big (almost 13lb) domestic long hair.

merlincat Wed 08-Jan-14 20:38:47

They have a very distinctive voice, a chirrup which seems incongruous from such a big cat. They tend to have ear-tufts and extra long tails. Our old Coon boy does this weird thing of patting at the water in his bowl before he drinks; he is also, like most MC's, gentle and sweet natured. Sound familiar?

Pudtat Thu 09-Jan-14 11:53:27

Merlin, our beautiful girl has always played with her water before drinking to the extent that she'd sometimes almost empty the bowl! I never realised that was Coonie, thought that was personal eccentricity! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now