Vestibular disease/condition

(34 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 23-Dec-13 08:18:33

My oriental is 8 and a half; she is a delicate little thing, always cold!

She developed a vestibular problem at the start of October. She was treated and stopped the antibiotics 2nd/3rd week of November.

It was back again on Saturday

I know I have to talk it over with the vet - but I'm thinking she's really going to struggle if this is reoccurring. She can't have an MRI as our insurance is out of money, so they only thing to do is the op under her jaw to clear out her ear & I worry about her coping with that.

Can everyone be realistic with me please? Is this normally a one off & she will get better the reoccurrence just a blip? Or is this something she will get over & over again?

cozietoesie Wed 25-Dec-13 19:13:47

That's good, Katy. I'd keep things as quiet and calm as you can - for her at any rate - and as toasty warm as she'll take.

Let us know how she gets on.

KatyMac Thu 26-Dec-13 16:31:25

She is much better today - a bit sleepy but OK

KatyMac Wed 01-Jan-14 22:50:49

She is quite a bit deaf but seems reasonably happy

Is she less wobbly?

KatyMac Thu 02-Jan-14 11:33:02

She is quite wobbly when she jumps but better on the floor

Sounds promising. Me and DCat sending best wishes smile

KatyMac Fri 03-Jan-14 22:22:33

She is having her op on Wednesday; she is having the whole ear out as the vet knows that op better

Hoping op went ok x

KatyMac Wed 08-Jan-14 21:31:02

Later on on Tuesday she got much worse then loads better - the vet discussed an abcess/eardrum possibly & she was much better after that

We discussed postponing the op but she was worried that it might build up again

She had the op - there wasn't any growth or cancer

She is OK & home; she hates her collar & she is very cross with me

The vet was worried as she was so distressed at the surgery & kept scratching her ear & made it bleed - but now she is fine

They would rather she kept her cone on - but said we can take it off if she needs to & clean it with cotton wool & water if we want

So very well really

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now