AIBU to have introduced my foster kittens to marmite?

(11 Posts)
QuietTiger Sun 22-Dec-13 16:33:35

I have 2 foster kittens, who will be going to live with a close friend.

My friend hates Marmite - she can't stand the stuff. My cats love it. My 2 foster kittens didn't know it existed until today, when I was giving it to my other cats. They've gone crazy for it.

AIBU to have introduced the kittens to marmite, knowing that as my friend is a doting cat slave, she will probably believe she has to give it to them in the same way she will pander to all their other whims? grin

cozietoesie Sun 22-Dec-13 18:48:06

Well if she hasn't got it in the house, nobody will know unless you mention it - which of course you won't, will you, because of its thumping high salt content which isn't good for cats.

catameringue Sun 22-Dec-13 22:35:49

One of mine goes bonkers for marmite which I only discovered when she stole my toast! I'm sure the odd lick isn't that bad for them, you can get these lick sticks for them to remove hair balls that look marmite esque.

Mogz Sat 28-Dec-13 17:00:19

Yum, its a good idea as its a healthy treat. And most of the hairball paste you can get is malt flavoured, so it's good to get them in to the habit of thinking that it is an awesome treat. Tell your friend just to get the paste to give them once a week or so, then she doesn't have to have marmite in the hose but they get something yummy and a belly free of fluff.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sat 28-Dec-13 17:02:28

Hang on a mo.....
I didnt realise there was anti furball stuff I could give. I've had cats forever and the yakking can be a real nuisance. Is there a good brand?

cozietoesie Sat 28-Dec-13 17:28:40

Sure is - it's called grooming them. I groom my boy pretty well daily and he loves it now. I get a huge amount of fur out and he doesn't upchuck.

Toomuch2young Sat 28-Dec-13 17:30:19

Katalax is good for furballs. Can get if off amazon.

msrisotto Sat 28-Dec-13 17:30:50

There are hair ball remedy treats on sale in pets at home. My cat loves them. She once broke into the cupboard, stole the bag, tore it open and ate 3/4 of the pack (while we were out). She had a funny tummy that day! grin

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sat 28-Dec-13 17:35:59

I do groom them but I have problems with one of my old ones being very sore when I try it now.

cozietoesie Sat 28-Dec-13 19:17:16

How is he sore?

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sat 28-Dec-13 19:19:54

She has arthritis around her back hips. Vet prescribed meloxicam but it makes her throw up so we've been told there isn't much they can do other than keep her weight down. She is 17.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now