Might have to say goodbye to my cat tomorrow.

(9 Posts)
TheBunsOfPanettone Sun 22-Dec-13 21:49:35

Shanks313 I am so sorry to hear about your boy's death this morning. That is heart-breaking and such bad luck. Thinking of you and of him thanks

shanks313 Sun 22-Dec-13 21:34:55

Sorry to hear this
We had to have our 8 year old boy put to sleep this morning. He was okay.. Came for a stroke and was looking at our shopping then suddenly his back legs stopped working.
He was rushed to the vets but he was too ill with a blood clot.
Missing him so much but couldn't have him suffering.
Do what feels right at the vet for you and your cat

RandomMess Sun 22-Dec-13 21:31:25

Sorry to read this, we got a bonus 10 months after a stomach tumour was diagnosed thanks to prednisol steroids. Broke my heart when he suddenly stopped eating and I knew his time had come.

timtam23 Sun 22-Dec-13 21:29:22

Flumpf I am so sorry your boy is poorly

My old girl cat became very wobbly a couple of days before I had her put to sleep, she had kidney failure and was very old but had always been quite steady on her feet so I knew something was badly wrong.

It really is heartbreaking and I hope that the vet was able to help you to come to a decision, whatever that may be.

DidoTheDodo Sun 22-Dec-13 10:43:44

I am so sorry to hear this. Loss of a much loved pet (and having to make that final decision) is awful. Hand-holding if required.

TheBunsOfPanettone Sun 22-Dec-13 01:55:18

Flumpf, I am so sorry your darling boy isn't doing well.

It is terribly hard facing their loss. I have been through this twice with my own oldies earlier in the year; they were in their late teens and became very wobbly indeed at the end with kidney disease.

I'm sure you'll do your very best for him, even if that turns out to be making the toughest decision. Thinking of you both in the hope that you will be able to have a while longer together.

Lemsy Sat 21-Dec-13 21:38:15

Oh your poor darling and poor you..

I'm sorry to say that one of my darlings had to be put to sleep a month ago because of a mouth tumour. I don't think that it had spread to his brain but had become so big and had started bleeding. Once that happened i knew the time was right.

Before that (a couple of months from diagnosis) he had been kept comfortable with antibiotics and steroids. Unfortunately, there is very little good prognosis for these types of tumours, they can operate but it's very traumatic.

It is so heartbreaking but do the kindest thing that you and the vet think best.. bless.. he sounds a proper little darling, give him as much love as you can in the time you have left.

Much love and hugs to you both xxx

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 21-Dec-13 21:36:45

No advice but I didn't want to read and run. Poor you having to make this decision.

Flumpf Sat 21-Dec-13 20:44:56

Back story is that he is almost 14, and he has been pretty healthy until the end of October this year, when he went a bit off his food. I took him to the vets who told me that they think he has a tumour in his mouth. He gave him some drugs to perk him up a bit and bring back his appetite, but he would be on borrowed time.

Since then, he seemed to be back to his usual self. We haven't been back to the vets since then as he seemed to be doing fine.

But these past few days, I've noticed that he's looking a bit wobbly when he's moving around. His back legs have collapsed beneath him a couple of times. He has been eating, but he just seems a bit 'down' and he keeps falling over.

I'm thinking that maybe the tumour has spread to his brain and maybe he has had enough. I'm taking him to the vets tomorrow hopefully to see what they say. I'm trying to prepare myself for the fact that he might not be coming home.

It's truly heart breaking. He is quite happy to have cuddles on my lap and he purrs away. But, I can't sit with him all day, every day (as much as I would love to), and it's not right that he looks fed up and keeps falling over.

Just wondered if any one else has seen anything similar, and if any one would like to share any cat stories. Just wanted to share with some fellow animal lovers.

He is the friendliest, most tolerant, patient, affectionate, loving cat I have ever met. I love him so much and I just can't get my head round saying goodbye to him all of a sudden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now