Injured paw

(5 Posts)
LtheWife Sat 21-Dec-13 10:18:44

Our lovely fluffy tailless rescue came in yesterday evening and started hopping around on three legs, totally unwilling to weight bare on one forepaw at all. Having had a look at it she has a small cut/tear (perhaps 4mm long and 1-2mm deep) on the edge of her central pad, it was a few degrees warmer than the other paw and very slightly swollen. The wound was moist but not bleeding and no sign of any pus. I bathed it with cooled boiled water with a bit of salt dissolved in it, and flushed the wound out with a syringe.

This morning she's putting weight on it with a bit of a limp, the swelling has improved and it has cooled down somewhat (although still a little warmer than the other) so seems to be improving. Otherwise she's eating well, not licking at it and is enjoying all the extra attention.

As she is improving should we just keep her in, keep up with the cleaning and monitor things or is a visit to the vet necessary?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 21-Dec-13 10:41:46

I'd go to a vet but only because simple infections are cheaper to treat. Plus it can't be very nice for her either.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 21-Dec-13 11:06:03

I agree with fluffy to vet easier and cheaper to deal with early infection particularly in a pad. Particularly with Christmas looming it is otherwise bound to swell horribly and be terribly painful on Christmas Day.

lookatmybutt Sat 21-Dec-13 13:19:45

I really think you should go to a vet ASAP - it sounds infected for starters and early treatment is best.

The trouble with tootsie wounds it that it can take a looong time for them to heal and cats can also get very depressed if they have even a minor foot wound.

If you leave it and it gets worse over Christmas, you and kitty could be in a world of shit.

LtheWife Sat 21-Dec-13 13:43:16

Thanks all. I've phoned the out of hours vet and they said to keep up with the cleaning for now and take her in on Monday but if it gets worse to call them back and bring her in. Typically I'm in hospital for an operation on Monday and DH is working away so I'll have to find someone to take her in for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now