Cats on surfaces-please help!

(21 Posts)
cozietoesie Fri 20-Dec-13 17:39:09

They're kittens still. And that can be hard work!

Dogmatix34 Fri 20-Dec-13 17:36:46

Thanks cozie. I may need to do that. Having two cats has been harder than I thought but so, so worth it!

cozietoesie Fri 20-Dec-13 17:20:23

cardboard box.

cozietoesie Fri 20-Dec-13 17:19:58

I'm guessing you mean lock them out of the rest of the house and not out off the house altogether? It's extra dangerous for cats to roam at night and they should really be kept in somewhere.

My Siamese have always slept with me and have adopted the humans' schedule completely. The non-Siamese, not being allowed out at night, have adopted the schedule also but have found themselves somewhere t sleep out of choice - usually a sofa or the laundry cupboard. You could always get them a comfy bed or make one up with a large cardboard bed and eg an old fleece or two.

If you're worried about them roaming through the house, maybe find a room that they can use as a bedroom and shut them in there with their bed(s) and a tray in case they're caught short?

Dogmatix34 Fri 20-Dec-13 16:51:33

Thanks for all the advice, may try the kitchen foil trick. They aren't allowed out yet but were "done" last week and will be allowed out once wound heals (the girl got her collar off and ripped all her stitches off after two days). What do people do at night? Do you allow cats free rein of the house or do you lock them out. I am concerned about them waking DCs (and us!)

cozietoesie Fri 20-Dec-13 10:24:19

Many years ago, Darling Twoago decided to jump onto me and join me in the bath without realizing that it was full of water. (He was used to investigating it while it was empty.) It was complete mayhem for 5 minutes.

Nowadays, any cat that comes into the bathroom while I'm in the bath has a few drops of water directed onto their nose from my fingertips. They soon learn.

Preciousbane Fri 20-Dec-13 10:16:19

My cat loves getting in the bath and laps at the water though she always has fresh water to drink. I have had a few cats and none have ever done this and she gave me an absolute fright.

cozietoesie Fri 20-Dec-13 10:15:43

Not going onto kitchen surfaces is one of our few house rules and none of our cats have ever done it after learning their rules. (With the very occasional exception of The Lodger who came to us after a long time on the streets and would sometimes just clean forget while in hot pursuit -and then would realize, with appalled horror, what he'd done and scuttle down and away.)

It's not a hygiene thing for us - indeed we live so closely with our cats (eg they mostly sleep in bed with us) that that idea would be daft for the family. More of a safety thing. There are a lot of potentially burny, scaldy, cutty things going on in our kitchen from time to time and I'd rather not have to worry about cats being injured.

(Although I do put eg cold roasts in the cold cupboard/fridge once plated. No sense in upping the temptation stakes too much.)

CoffeeandCakes Fri 20-Dec-13 06:56:53

When I got my cat she liked jumping on the work surfaces too. I read somewhere that putting tin foil on them for about a month would work, and it did. She has never jumped up on them since. But it didn't work so well for the bath!

Nojustalurker Fri 20-Dec-13 06:49:34

I used to shout at my cat when I first got him and he did this. I also tried putting metal utensils along the the edges of the work surfaces so if he jumped up they would fall down and make a noise.

To be honest if you are keeping them in the kitchen on a night time which is a very small space for a cat I think you will just have to put up with it. We have had to keep our cat in the flat for the last week (vet's advice) and he has been really naughty in ways he is not normally when he was free to roam. I think we may have to start again with some things.

Nojustalurker Fri 20-Dec-13 06:47:35

I used to shout at my cat when I first got him and he did this. I also tried putting metal utensils along the the edges of the work surfaces so if he jumped up they would fall down and make a noise.

To be honest if you are keeping them in the kitchen on a night time which is a very small space for a cat I think you will just have to put up with it. We have had to keep our cat in the flat for the last week (vet's advice) and he has been really naughty in ways he is not normally when he was free to roam. I think we may have to start again with some things.

sashh Fri 20-Dec-13 06:36:47

no cat of mine has EVER been allowed on work surfaces or tables

I said that until I got my latest (and I fostered for 10 years so had a lot of cats in the house).

Madam has other ideas, I now keep the kitchen door closed.

Preciousbane Fri 20-Dec-13 01:10:00

We have a special small high counter just for the cat, she is not allowed on any of the others and just complies. She is my daemon Golden Compass style and we seem to understand each other well.

pigsDOfly Fri 20-Dec-13 00:57:38

Right from the start I never allowed my two on the worktops. If they jumped up I would lift them off, say no and put them back on the floor (don't think they knew what no mean't but it gave me something to say).

After a few weeks they just stopped jumping up there, at least when I was in the room. I think they just got fed up with being moved every time and gave up.

However, if you're shutting them in the kitchen on their own they'll be up on the worktops all the time and there's no way you can train them not to.

TalkinPeace Thu 19-Dec-13 22:29:06

no cat of mine has EVER been allowed on work surfaces or tables

plant misters set to jet - aim for the back of their head or their bum
they learn
just squeezing the trigger usually works after a few weeks

Dogmatix34 Thu 19-Dec-13 15:04:40

Thanks! The cat we had when I was a child never jumped up so this has come as quite a surprise and is really bugging my DH. I could easily get used to it though and looks like I'll have to!

Advice. Let them. And wipe benches regularly.

GemmaTeller Thu 19-Dec-13 14:59:52

DH didn't shout at Boy cat (aged 2) when he jumped on the work surfaces when he was younger, he said his name sharply and did a low growl at him = boy cat never attempts to jump up in the kitchen now (I have to admit he is the most well behaved cat we've ever had ) smile

Catsmamma Thu 19-Dec-13 14:58:18

Are you my MIL???

this is what cats do....they like to be high up. Wipe down as already suggested and give up this battle!

This comes up regularly. I'm sure other people will have practical advice. But I always say the same thing, which is 'does it really matter?'

As long as you wipe the top before you prepare food directly on it that's fine. Mine practically live on my worktops (photos on my profile to prove it) and it's never done me any harm.

Dogmatix34 Thu 19-Dec-13 14:32:21

Both our kittens jump up consistently on the kitchen surfaces and table and its driving us mad. We have tried spraying them with water but they don't seem bothered and was wondering if anyone had any other advice? They are locked in the kitchen at night so I think they go up on the surfaces all the time when we're not there as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now