Nosebleed in elderly cat with hypertention. What happens next?

(30 Posts)
LynetteScavo Sun 08-Dec-13 09:40:01

The poor old thing is already blind due to high bloodpresure. We gave up with medication because we just couldn't get it in to her. (Please, please don't give me a hard time about this - we really tried, and I feel bad enough already!)

She's also deaf, but quite happy, when not confused, and seems to get around by using her sense of smell.

DH thinks she might have bumped into something, but she never runs anymore, so I don't think that's the cause.

I think it's definately they hypertention.

I'm usually a panic and rush to the vet kind of person, but am trying not to freak out if this is the end.

I'm crying so please be kind to me.

timtam23 Sun 08-Dec-13 22:03:47

OP I really feel for you, I have a 17 year old cat who also has hypertension and is blind, so far he is pottering around ok but I'm sure there will be some kind of crisis at some point and it is so upsetting to think about

My old boy is dreadful with tablets usually but the vet said I could crush the BP ones (amlodipine) so I grind them up and mix with a little bit of some tempting food (usually posh fishy cat food) he can't taste the tablet at all & polishes the whole lot off

I'm glad the bleeding's stopped now, will you be asking the vet's advice in case it happens again?

LynetteScavo Sun 08-Dec-13 22:26:17

Will aslo try crushing the tablets - hadn't thought of that.

Cat will have to have a check up in a few weeks to get more tablets, and of course I will mention bleeding even though it's now stopped. DH was going to take her in the morning, but now I don't think that's necessary.

I'm trying to keep the vets visits to a minimum, as they always hint the end is near.

TamzinGrey Sun 08-Dec-13 22:39:49

I can get tablets into my 17 year old without fail by the following method:

Break about an inch off a treat stick https://www.whiskas.co.uk/our-products-snacks-and-treats-whiskas-sticks. Make a hole through the middle (I use a small skewer) and stick the tablet inside. Mould the edges around and sort of roll it into a ball so that there's no sight (or smell) of the medicine.

My girl will usually take this happily in one gulp.

LynetteScavo Mon 09-Dec-13 17:11:23

I will try that, TamzinGrey smile

TamzinGrey Tue 10-Dec-13 00:23:03

Hope it works Lynette - I know how upsetting it is when they refuse to take their medicine.

I've heard that these are very good www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001FSJCPK They come in different flavours. Expensive, but you might want to give them a try if all else fails.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now