Back again for advice on another urchin that has 'found' me!

(84 Posts)
Applecrumbly Sun 01-Dec-13 14:22:02

Hi to everyone that helped me a few months ago when I found a kitten and kept it and was literally shellshocked at the madness of a new kitten ,having only ever had dogshmm.But our little Cleo is now 7 months,been spayed and we love her to bits and is much calmer(well thats what I thought until we put the xmas tree upgrin).
Last Tuesday however,I found a large tabby crying pitifully in the garden-we are rural so surrounded by fields etc) - and of course I fed her and off she went,except of course she didnt go anywhere and was back the next day and is still here.She is really friendly and keeps rubbing herself round my ankles and pushing her head into my hand to be stroked and purring etc.She seems to be very vocal,crying even when she has been fed etc.
I have made a bed for her in the woodshed,under a table and lots of blankets etc because heres the thing..I think she might be pregnant.Im not sure but I think so.She is eating an awful lot...approx 3 pouches a day and lots of dry also.
What will I do? Is it ok to just carry on like this,providing shelter and food.Will she be warm enough? I cant bring her indoors as we have a dog and an indoor kitten and if she has kittens we will be over run with cats and I dont really want that.
She is a large tabby and is really lovely and friendly.
Sigh!Why do they always find me?

cozietoesie Fri 06-Dec-13 17:16:44

Of course, TCN.

Finding 2 cats? Well that's just greedy. grin

Is there any way of telling if a cat has been spayed? Cat rescues don't shave them all to see if there's a scar. confused

Sparkling actually they do. We certainly do if we don't know the cat's history. However when you get experienced with this sort of thing you can generally just tell by looking, unless the cat is very young or stray and undernourished. Well cared for neutered cats just have a look about them that you get to recognise.

We still shave to be 100 per cent sure though.

Feral cats will of course be ear-tipped.

Oh right cn. I had Sparkling Cat from the CP, and when I took her to the vets they asked if she was spayed. I thought 'ooh I hope so'. grin
I hope she looks like a well cared for neutered cat. smile

Applecrumbly Fri 06-Dec-13 17:50:17

sparkling do you want onegrin?
Todays update is that stray cat has not moved from the bed next to the radiator and is only lifting her body to eat and use the toilet.Is this normal for a cat...she just seems to want to sleep all day? I only have experience of the mad kitten!
Kitten still will not leave her alone and cat hisses and spits at her when she comes too close..I think she is scared of the kitten a little actually.I remove the kitten every now and again to give the cat some peace and keep them apart when I am not around.Dog wants to be cats friend too but cat is not interested so dog is not bothered and slopes off upstairs.
I am hoping as the days go by that cat will get more confident and will wander around the house a bit.My biggest fear is that she will attack little cleo and do serious damage to her-I would never forgive myself if that happened...could it happen do you think?
So ,we carry on but cat basically seems to be content to just veg out-loves being stroked and having her tummy rubbedfsmile,

Yes Apple, but Sparkling Cat and DH say no. sad

That sounds quite normal OP. I'm sure she's just enjoying the warmth and comfort and being in a proper home. It's true she may also feel a bit intimidated by the kitten. I think it's very, very unlikely that she would do the kitten any serious harm and I'm sure they'll get used to each other soon.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 06-Dec-13 18:02:46

Most cat fights are just swearing and posturing, proper fighting is rare.

She might be relaxing properly enough to sleep really deeply.

Applecrumbly Sat 07-Dec-13 15:02:18

Oh thanks everyone.I hadnt thought that she might be relaxed enough now to sleep deeply..honestly I have never known an animal laze around so much..of course my only experience is of the kitten bombing around everywhere at top speed.
Well.I think I am seeing a more relaxed atmosphere developing in the applecrumbly house today.She doesnt seem to mind the dog much but still hisses and makes strange noises at the kitten who will NOT stay away from her.But I dont think its as bad as yesterday.
What should I do about her going outside?I have no objection to her going out as she is used to it but should I try and coax her to the backdoor just to let her know she can go out if she wishes or would she instinctively start looking for a way out if she really wanted to venture outside? She still has not left the living room.She has walked around the living room a few times.has climbed on to my lap twice,has sat on the window sill looking out,sleeps up on the arm of the sofa and hops onto sofa near dd sometimes.Then just goes back to sleephmm.
I suppose what I am asking is should I just be led by her and leave things be? She is eating 4 pouches a day and a little dry food and is using the litter box.She sleeps at night in living room on my favourite chair it seemsfgrin.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Dec-13 15:08:30

I'd let her make the running as to what she wants to do. It will help her feel secure in her new home. If she wants outside, she'll make it clear to you, trust me. And if she wants to laze inside, warm, fed and loved, well......... who can blame her?

Good news anyway. It all sounds as if things are developing well.

smile

cozietoesie Sat 07-Dec-13 15:10:29

PS - and it's winter, after all. She'll likely be different come spring and summer and with a bit of confidence to her.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 07-Dec-13 16:04:23

Kittens are like toddlers on a haribo high for adult cats though, deeply deeply annoying in other words.

You're very good to take her on so readily.

minnisota Sat 07-Dec-13 21:57:07

re the going out. I tool in a stray once who wouldn't even look out of the window, let alone go out.
Been there done that!
Other strays have loved going out, and loved coming back in again.
Wait and see I'd say

Applecrumbly Sun 08-Dec-13 11:15:24

Thanks so much to all of you for the great adviceflowers.
I think,as you all said,that each day stray is getting a bit more settled.Kitten still full-on and no amount of hissing is making a difference to her but I can see that stray is not as quick to react now.
She is eating really well,using litter box and just sleeping,lounging about...still not venturing from living room except last night during the x-factor at one stage I saw her creep into the kitchen and head for the hall but unfortunately the dog came in from the hallway at the same time and scared her and she ran back again but it was a sign that she was going to explore a little.
She is wary of the dog but not as much as the kitten...or maybe she simply hates the x-factorfgrin!
I am so grateful to all of you because you gave me the confidence to go ahead and bring her in and hopefully things will work out..she is very affectionate and lovely really.
I love mumsnet so much for this sort of thing.You regulars here on the litter tray provide an invaluable source of advice for people like me without much experience with cats.
Thanks again.Will keep updatingfsmile.

cozietoesie Sun 08-Dec-13 11:31:53

She's likely learning that the kitten is an awful lot of mouth but not a real threat. (And who knows but that she might have had a litter in the past and still be vaguely familiar with kitten ways.)

Sounds OK so far.

RubySparks Sun 08-Dec-13 11:44:13

Does she have a name yet!?

catsrus Sun 08-Dec-13 20:01:01

the other thing to remember is that cats have personalities - and make friends. for the last 25 yrs I've always had 4-6 cats, some have been best friends, others hated each other. I've had cats that didn't like cats but loved dogs (we've always had dogs too) and cats that decided their role in life was to be an adoptive big brother / sister to new kittens. I currently have two 6 yr old litter mates who couldn't be more different. One sister grooms and is friendly to the two new 'interlopers' (who are almost 3yrs old but she settled down with them while they were kittens) but her sister just hisses and gives them the evil eye and always has - and from experience I think she always will. I have some seriously evil looking photos of her when she sees one of them in the room fgrin

It sounds to me like your new girl has a basically kindly personality so once she is used to the kitten and dog it will all settle down nicely. If she was of the evil cat variety I think you would know by now!

Applecrumbly Sun 08-Dec-13 23:13:27

Aw thanks again for all the helpful comments.She actually began exploring today after I had posted here and went upstairs and hid under a bed for a while and had to be coaxed out with a piece of chicken.She has also wandered around the hallway but is still wary of sudden sounds,shouts etc and of course the bloody kitten...kitten is so funny though,she will not take no for an answerfconfused.
Only thing strange was about an hour ago she went upstairs and did a giant poo in the bathfshock.There is a second litter box next to the bath so she had to go past this to get into the bathfhmm.I will leave the flap off the box upstairs for a few days I think.I assume cats have no problem sharing a litter box do they...I have two covered ones,one in the living room and one in the upstairs bathroom which is just at the top of the stairs so very accessible.I seem to remember the catneuterer saying that all her cats share 3 litter boxes so I assumed my two can easily share these.
Her name is Bella catsrusfsmile.

cozietoesie Sun 08-Dec-13 23:33:48

3 litter boxes for two cats should be fine but she's still finding her way so you'll likely have to be a bit tolerant of accidents at the moment.

By the way - if she roams or hides under the bed, I'd leave her to it rather than coaxing her out. (She's probably trying to get away from the kitten and have some Me time.) My cats are allowed to mooch around and do pretty well as they please as long as they don't breach the few (but strict) house rules. They seem to enjoy that freedom and in fact choose to spend most of their time with the family.

I know you're maybe anxious about her settling into the family but ......it will come. Give it a few days and she'll be up on your lap and rubbing noses with the best of them. (As long as the kitten is asleep!)

Well done Bella. (We'll forgive her that bath accident for her trauma. Let's hope it's the only one.)

Applecrumbly Sun 08-Dec-13 23:53:36

2 litter boxes cozie-but that should be fine shouldnt it?We left her under the bed for about an hour and a half..I was afraid she might wee in a corner of the room so coaxed her out.She was on the stairs just a few minutes ago and the kitten ran past her and she flew at kitten with claws out etc.I really hope this stops cozie soon..I am feeling sorry for little kitten bless her.

Applecrumbly Sun 08-Dec-13 23:55:14

What are your house rules for the cats cozie if you dont mind me asking? I am just curious!

cozietoesie Mon 09-Dec-13 00:01:51

Take your point about the peeing.

The claws out bit isn't so good but maybe she's at that point of getting her bearings and is just judging it wrong. I wouldn't be too worried about saying a firm NO to her if you see her trying anything again so maybe just keep an eye on the pair of them.

Is there any way of distracting the kitten - or her - with some games? Bella has been a big change to the house but if she's to stay, you'll need to return to normality as soon as possible and have them living normal cat lives rather than be always watching them to see their interactions.

cozietoesie Mon 09-Dec-13 00:05:29

No going on kitchen surfaces
No scratching unauthorized surfaces
No biting in bed

That's the lot - although, interestingly, they seem to extend in cats' minds - so that eg the surfaces rule extends to a number of surfaces and not just the kitchen ones. Nothing to do with me - just something inside their brains that I haven't figured out yet.

Applecrumbly Mon 09-Dec-13 00:13:00

thanks cozie

Applecrumbly Mon 09-Dec-13 18:04:53

Newsflash !.Cat is goneshock shock shock.
So much for loyalty eh?
Came down this morning and fed stray and was getting ready for school run etc and was in and out the back door to car and as kitten was still in bed in spare roomhmm I left the back door open thinking new lady was too shy to go out but was also interested to see what would happen.I saw her wrinkle up her nose as the smell of cold air filled the kitchen and she walked to the back door and was gone.
I returned from the school run thinking she would be waiting at the back door but no.So I remade the bed in the woodshed for her and left a bowl of wet food for her and water and a few hours later I saw her outside and watched her go into the shed and emerge smacking her lips afterwards.Then she spotted me at the kitchen window and started crying but when I went out she had gone again and still has not returned.
The shed is there if she wants it now and her little cosy bed under a table and some food so we will see.
Bloody cats eh? All the fretting over the weekendangry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now