Newborn Kittens

(61 Posts)

My Cat has just had kittens , she had the first at 6pm .
I'm just wondering how long I should give her after the first til the last ?
I have left her alone for now as she was eating the after birth <boak>

She was pregnant when I got her & yes I will be getting her neutered

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 23-Nov-13 20:18:44

Oh bugger.

I wish lone was here. All the vets seem to go to the doghouse section.

I think you can bath them, if nothing else it concentrates them to the head and you can pick them off, they are difficult to squash, I press them on a hard surface with my nail, that seems to do it.

Can you treat the adults?

cozietoesie Sat 23-Nov-13 20:19:16

Check with neighbours etc. A surprising number of people have a cat box knocking around somewhere and would be happy to lend it.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sat 23-Nov-13 20:30:29

Pm lone, I think

I'll get to a vet at some point this week

Last time I had kittens they had a check up at a week old & I mentioned to the vet they had fleas & she said nothing could be done until they were weaned

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 23-Nov-13 21:53:12

I think that's changed now, I just need to find that thread....

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 23-Nov-13 21:55:16

Thanks Fluffy

EustaciaVye Sun 24-Nov-13 09:12:49

The flea thread was mine. They cant have frontline combo until 8 weeks / 1kg. My 9 week old was not heavy enough so the vet sprayed her with Frontline spray. I hoovered everywhere and sprayed with Acclaim.

We then spent the next few days picking live, dopey fleas off her. Her ears had been totally white when we brought her home, now they are nice and veiny.

About a week after her treatment I found a lively flea on her and completely lost it. I found a frontline pipette and put a tiny dab from it on her neck. About 1/5 of the pipette. I havent seen any since but I would not recommend it really as I think they can overdose.

Good luck getting rid of them.

EustaciaVye Sun 24-Nov-13 09:15:32

I think they can be sprayed from days old. Def worth checking with the vet.

Our kitten is small and I am sure the fleas didnt help. She has noticibly grown in the last 2 weeks.

sashh Sun 24-Nov-13 09:47:23

If you have a 'vetinary hospital' they will be on call over the weekend. There are 2 in Wolverhampton where I live, they look like normal vets but have to have 24 hour cover to use the 'hospital' tag.

Cats protection also have a help line.

Oh and mum should not be drinking milk, unless it's cat milk.

I have an appointment with Vets for Pets at the end of the week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now