How can we protect our cats from this storm that's coming?

(39 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sun 27-Oct-13 09:56:51

Keep them in like it's Bonfire night?

The last thunder storm we had a cat ran away from home and got run over and I had to deliver it to it's owner who was inconsolable.

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Oct-13 16:01:06

There are some awful pictures on the news of stuff down South, we have been lucky. Glad you are ok Dido.

itsnothingoriginal Mon 28-Oct-13 15:51:23

Pretty quiet here too (we've had worse storms where we are tbh!) but the rain keeps coming down.

Kitten also chose today to disappear over the fence for the first time ever shock just before a heavy rain shower so I went to get her back from the neighbours garden - she was not impressed but I didn't want her getting stuck over there in the rain!!

DidoTheDodo Mon 28-Oct-13 15:23:36

Lots of trees down and branches everywhere in Kent.

We are fine though. Didokitty sensibly spent the night sleeping on my bed (OH is away) and didnlt seem to scared at the howling gale.

All a storm in a teacup here in East London. A bit breezy, nothing more. I don't think the cats even noticed.

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Oct-13 14:42:33

Nothing much happened here in Worcestershire. Sparkling Cat is sunning herself on the patio.

Hope all the other furries are ok.

cozietoesie Mon 28-Oct-13 13:56:53

Is everyone safe so far?

DanielHellHoundMcSpaniel Sun 27-Oct-13 22:36:06

Our beautiful Snowshoe has just come hairing up the front path and dived in through the flap which is now locked. I was really miffed when the silly sod snuck out earlier and I was a bit bothered about him out there. He's safe and sound and soaking wet now. The Lion never stirred from atop the sofa thank goodness. He's very stupid and would have stayed out.

It's disgusting out there now and we haven't had the worst yet.

crazynanna Sun 27-Oct-13 21:22:21

Crazycat is a wanker homecat due to the local bully cats who roam the gardens here, but she hates wind and will come to me for a reasurring chinrub. In North London...not much happening weather wise.

It's really peaceful here, east mids, eerily so in fact which is most likely a bad sign.

I never see a fox here sad

Sparklingbrook Sun 27-Oct-13 20:31:37

Fox number 2 just been. No storm as yet.

issey6cats Sun 27-Oct-13 20:00:56

nuns of gaverone have you considered fostering cats for a rescue would give you your cats in the house fix and the rescue pays all costs especially as you are at home all day, i foster kittens for the rescue i work at and love having babies in the house for a short time and knowing that when they leave me they are going to be dog proof, cat proof, grandchildren (think kelsey love hug till you get friendly hugs) used to household sounds its something very worth while or if not fostering working at a local cat center as a volunteer i have done this for 6 years now and i answer the phone, show people round, feed the cats, clean the pens, cuddle the cats and of course get to play with kitties

Sparklingbrook Sun 27-Oct-13 19:24:29

One fox has just come for an early tea. smile

Mines been in all day but next doors cats are out hmm

I haven't seen any ferals around here, all of the local cats have a layer of flubber.

DidoTheDodo Sun 27-Oct-13 18:38:51

My old cat used to love fireworks, to the extent that he used to get quite agitated if he couldn't get past the curtains to see them!

My boss has just texted me to tell me to work from home tomorrow (probably no trains anyway) so i shall be able to keep and eye on Didokitty when the storm comes. Seems to be predicted between 5 and 8am here (Kent).

Hope all are ok.

Corygal Sun 27-Oct-13 18:01:55

Mr Cory is slumbering blithely on the bed as a couple of bangs outside kick off the Clapham fireworks. But he will freak at some stage, and be cosseted with extra Dreamies.

youbethemummylion Sun 27-Oct-13 17:54:55

Our cat is an indoor cat she will sit on the window sill and watch fireworks or thunder and lightning no fear of the bangs but dare someone close their car door anywhere near our house she is off like a shot to cower under the bed. Strange things cats.

Sparklingbrook Sun 27-Oct-13 17:32:39

Wind really getting up here (Worcestershire) Sparkling Cat is in. Rollergirl I would think all is fine at the cattery. Very safe.

Blu Sun 27-Oct-13 17:32:27

Cozie, depending on where you are last night's fireworks could well have been Diwali.

cozietoesie Sun 27-Oct-13 17:30:46

Oh - and good luck to everyone in the potential zone. (The wind is getting up a bit here but we're outside the problem area.)

cozietoesie Sun 27-Oct-13 17:29:57

I'm sure the cattery would have contacted you if there was likely to be any problem - why not phone them to check if you're worried and need reassurance.

Rollergirl1 Sun 27-Oct-13 17:26:23

I'm a little bit worried. We live in Surrey but are visiting family in Liverpool. Cat in in cattery. Do you think he'll be okay? It's outside.

I'm keeping mine in this evening, tried to encourage her to go out just now but she looked at me like I was bonkers and is now curled up asleep next to me on the sofa.

I normally leave my garage door open for the hedgehogs that like to hid in there, it's brick but I'm thinking I should shut it all up tonight?

itsnothingoriginal Sun 27-Oct-13 15:15:04

My kitten is in but she's not happy about it - been attacking the DC all afternoon shock

It's awful here already so I'm not risking it...

TheNunsOfGavarone Sun 27-Oct-13 14:23:56

Hmmm, my shed is brick and attached to the house. It's not on the windward side so hopefully it will be safe.....

Floralnomad Sun 27-Oct-13 14:14:09

Nice as it is to leave doors open on sheds for cats to shelter its more likely that you will lose your shed as its when the wind gusts in through doors/ windows that it increases the risk of things taking off ,like the roof .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now