Are my cats likely to pick up fleas in boarding kennels?

(9 Posts)
ClaraOswald Mon 14-Oct-13 19:45:43

My local cattery asks that they are done the night before entering.

cozietoesie Mon 14-Oct-13 19:41:36

I use Profender on Seniorboy which is a mixed worm treater as far as I know. Check with the vet.

Thanks, cozie smile

Do the spot-ons kill the same worms? I know advocate kills one kind buti didn't know there were spot-ons for the others (I would much rather not use tablets - I've got the next dose already from previous vet visit so I'll give it a go but if I fail hopelessly I'll try an alternative grin)

cozietoesie Mon 14-Oct-13 17:47:35

Try a worming spot on? (Speak to the vet practice about that.) I would no more contemplate giving Seniorboy a worming pill than I would flying to the moon.

oh yes, they had them in August

also worming tablets (I have to do those again next month. Not looking forward to that grin)

cozietoesie Mon 14-Oct-13 17:40:06

Are they getting shots etc regularly as well? Catteries won't generally take cats in unless so.

thank you smile

I'll treat them before they go then!

Cats are always likely to pick up fleas. Even if they never go out and never mix with other cats. You've been lucky that they haven't so far but you can't guarantee it. It would probably be an idea to treat them before the cattery, or you could just keep an eye on them (with a flea comb) when they're back and treat if needed. If you're not going to treat regularly then you will need to do that every week anyway to make sure they are still flea-free.

I used to treat them with Advocate but they have been flea-free for months. They do go outside, but not far, & there don't seem to be any other cats around (apart from one they hissed & yowled at from the top of our wall - just the once grin)

Anyway they're boarding for 10 nights later this month. Should I get some Advocate in just in case?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now