Adult male suddenly started spraying

(15 Posts)
Tricycletops Switzerland Sun 13-Oct-13 12:55:16

We've got an 18 month old neutered male who we've had for just over a year. In the last month he's suddenly started spraying after never giving us any problems in that direction before and I'm at a loss to think of reasons. Nothing's changed in his life in that period, and he has constant access to his litter tray. The spraying is a mixture of furtive and incredibly brazen - he's just attacked the spare room bed while I was in there, looking me straight in the eye!

He was 6 months old when we got him from the CPL and they think he might have been neutered quite late (they didn't do it) - could that have anything to do with it? I'd be grateful for any thoughts on possible causes and/or courses of action - my gut instinct is to start with the vet but I'd be interested to know what you guys think.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 13-Oct-13 12:57:56

Could he be stressed about anything - eg has anything at home changed, any possibility that another cat is 'invading' his space? (even outside space)

Tricycletops Switzerland Sun 13-Oct-13 13:02:07

Nothing has changed in the house, and there's no way for other cats to get in - but the outside space one is a possibility. The cat flap has a light sensor and as the days get gloomier the amount of time it's letting him out for is reducing - could changing the settings so he can get out there if he feels he needs to help?

It's nearly always stress-related when this happens. Do you have a cat flap? Is any other cat coming in through the flap? Perhaps you have an intruder when you're asleep? You could try a microchip operated flap which would stop this.

You could start with Feliway to try to calm him down, if you can't work out what might be stressing him and so do something about it.

If neither of these steps sort it out there is something which always cures this problem but vets are reluctant to prescribe it as it's a steriod/female hormone (I'm not exactly sure) and there might be some other reason they are not supposed to give it, I'm not sure (may be the vet on here can comment). Anyway it's called Ovarid. Only a small dose is needed and only for a few weeks, not for ever, as your cat then gets out of the habit of spraying. It's worth asking your vet about.

Tricycletops Switzerland Sun 13-Oct-13 13:20:47

Thanks, that's really helpful. We've got a microchip flap so barring malfunctions I don't think another cat could be getting in. I'll start with Feliway - we had good results from that when we first got him - and if the problem persists we'll take him to the vet.

The only thing that's changed recently is that I'm pregnant - but how would he know? confused

cozietoesie Sun 13-Oct-13 14:20:34

Sometimes they do!

ZebraOwl Sun 13-Oct-13 14:44:23

Cats can smell the hormonal changes that happen during pregnancy - and they'll notice small changes in routine, body language, posture & gait. They are evolved to be very observant & they are smart...

Tricycletops Switzerland Sun 13-Oct-13 17:26:37

Do you know, I hadn't thought of smell duh. And watching him this afternoon I could believe that he has worked out something's changed as he's really off with me but all purrs and affection with DH.

Poor cat - I should have realised that he could tell something's going on. sad

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Oct-13 20:47:50

Mine sprayed in the ensuite today because his tray wasn't spotlessly clean. This was after he'd been out to have a wee.

Slightest thing and they forget themselves move one step closer to the bargain pages

cozietoesie Sun 13-Oct-13 21:31:49

Fair dos, Fluffy. He could have sprayed on the sofa or the bed so doing the tiles in the en suite is quite tasteful if he needs to keep you up to the mark. (Pointed - but there you go.)

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Oct-13 21:35:03

Nope, wall and carpet.

Dh was not happy. Needless to say his tray is now spotless, you could eat your dinner off it.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Oct-13 21:41:50

He's sprayed on the bed before anyway, dh shouted at him the night before for some bad behaviour or other and the cat did a wee on his pillow the next morning, while dh was still half asleep. Then he scarpered.

Which was the sensible thing to do.

Why don't we all get dogs instead?

cozietoesie Sun 13-Oct-13 21:48:00

....Needless to say his tray is now spotless, you could eat your dinner off it........

So it worked, eh? Sounds like he's training you. wink grin

ZebraOwl Mon 14-Oct-13 01:59:45

Aw, Tricycletops, tis not your fault. Don't take it personally TricycleCat's being off with you either, apparently it's v common for cats to go a bit nuts over Pregnancy Hormones - going either way, with some cats attaching themselves to their human the whole time they're pregnant whilst others go all standoffish. (Then there are those cats who consider it all to be rather beneath them & firmly ignore the whole thing!) His response may change over the course of your pregnancy, too smile

Fluffy - sounds as though you & your DH are being litter[tray] trained wink

moonbells Tue 15-Oct-13 15:26:40

Oh heck, cats and pregnancy... I've always reckoned that OldMooncat knew I was pg before I did, and attached herself to me like glue. I spent a few weeks feeling rotten but having lapfungus every night, until one day and a BFP later I knew why... grin

Can't help with the spraying though. I've currently got WWIII going on with my two - Moonkitten keeps ambushing poor Mooncat, who hisses and growls and slashes at him. And we thought having related cats would mean this was less likely to happen! mind you when I get mummymummymummy and bothered by DS I have a lot of sympathy for Mooncat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now