Adding a kitten to our current 7yo boy cat. Do I go for a boy or girl?

(14 Posts)
EustaciaVye Fri 11-Oct-13 19:35:13

We currently have a neutered boy cat. He is a big cat, 7 years old. Sleeps a lot and comes for a cuddle in the evening.

We are looking to get a kitten to keep him company. Will it be easier to integrate a boy or girl kitten? And which would be best in the long run? We obviously want to get it right.

Any tips welcome.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 11-Oct-13 20:18:43

My first question would be does your current cat really want a friend?
Many cats are happier as only cats. There is no hard and fast rule as to what combination works.

EustaciaVye Fri 11-Oct-13 20:24:45

He made a friend of a neighbours young kitten in our old house. they used to frolick all over the place until we moved about a year ago. it was lovely seeing them play hide and seek grin he took a very long time to settle in our new house.

I think he will be fine. I just dont dont know how much of a difference gender would make.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 11-Oct-13 20:26:55

Personality I think will be more important. Someone like him I would go for.

TheNunsOfGavarone Fri 11-Oct-13 20:42:03

Hi Eustacia,

I'm not sure whether a boy or girl would be best. Presumably they'll be neutered at some stage anyway.

Just a thought: is your heart absolutely set on a kitten? I wonder whether a 7 y.o. sleepy snuggly boy might prefer company closer to his own age. Kittens are so adorable but they are also energetic and hard work, and he might resent the extra attention a kitten would take from you - and also not appreciate being pounced on and having his tail chased all the time etc. With an older cat you also know what you're getting as its character would already be fully developed, while a kitten's wouldn't be.

That's not to say adopting a kitten won't work if you take things carefully.

Whoever you decide to adopt, take it slowly and keep them in a separate room for a while (cue a bit of growling and hissing under the door shock ) before the first direct introductions are made. There's lots of info on the internet about helping them get used to each other slowly, including getting them accustomed to each other's scent before meeting face to face. It's very important your existing cat doesn't get to feel that he's being usurped, and that while the new one is being settled in, he has his own space to retreat to, should he feel the need. And lots of cuddles of course smile .

Best of luck whatever you decide.

TheNunsOfGavarone Fri 11-Oct-13 20:44:02

Ooops sorry cross-posted!

I'm not sure gender will make very much difference, i agree character is probably more important.

Once neutered gender seems to make little difference, as said above. It's personality that's important.

Will you be getting a kitten from a rescue? Please don't buy one.

EustaciaVye Fri 11-Oct-13 20:53:54

Thanks TheGunsOfNavarone.

We are able to keep them separate for a while, and I have 2 DDs who can entertain the kitten whilst current cat still gets lots of attention. I also only work part-time so will be able to supervise quite heavily initially.

EustaciaVye Fri 11-Oct-13 20:55:34

I have my name down with our local cats protection league. They have a pregnant mum at the moment which is why I wanted to ask about gender as it is possible I will get a choice. Kittens wont be ready until early December or Jan (they don't give out cats over Christmas) so I have a while to plan.

Lovethesea Sat 12-Oct-13 14:07:59

When I introduced our new one the cats protection had a good leaflet on building up the intros and moving on to feeding together, then slowly the bowls get closer and closer .....

Apparantly they accept each other best when focused on eating, then pop them apart again til next meal etc for a while. As long as they know there will still be plenty of food they are less territorial about it all.

My Huntercat was happy for Tortie to move in, she then sorted out boundaries with him (no wrestling allowed) and they are fine. Tortie has then proceeded to guard to garden against all other cats except Huntercat and she takes on anything, no matter how big and just flies at it.

So, in my experience male neutered cats might be more chilled, while the females take charge. But then my rescue place said opposites do well too!

Now I want a third of course ..... damn cute needy CP photos on my facebook page.

EustaciaVye Sat 12-Oct-13 18:51:33

thanks lovethesea. that is useful.

rspca have 7 kitties to view. there is also a 9 month old I am tempted by.

EustaciaVye Sun 20-Oct-13 08:24:50

We have a little girl cat coming in 2 weeks. smile

cabernetshiraz Sun 20-Oct-13 11:07:41

Aw lovely smile we recently added cat no.3 to our brood, a 4month old boy to our 2 8yr olds & it has all gone perfectly smile No advice, as they just sorted it out themselves ;) I did desperate them if we were going out though, didn't want to risk coming home to carnage!

EustaciaVye Sun 20-Oct-13 11:15:35

that is good to hear cabernetshiraz smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now