just found a tiny kitten in our garden

(41 Posts)
mydadsdaughter Thu 03-Oct-13 23:32:33

Heard very strange noise coming from our garden, went to investigate and found tiny kitten, at a very uneducated guess we put it at five weeks, seems ok but has very gunky eyes, it was following our cat around, we fed it kitten food and water and I guess we are off to the vets tomorrow to get it checked for chip ( although prob. Too young), looks like we have got a new addition to the family !!

Sparklingbrook Thu 03-Oct-13 23:33:05

envy

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 03-Oct-13 23:34:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklingbrook Thu 03-Oct-13 23:35:09

Have you had a check for Mum and any more kittens?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 03-Oct-13 23:36:29

If it's five weeks or so, it's not a stray, it's feral and lost. Cat food and water are ok overnight, weaning generally starts about that age, and OP can buy kitten milk in the morning. Congratulations, OP, on your new family member, and I hope the gunky eyes are not indicative of anything serious.

mydadsdaughter Thu 03-Oct-13 23:41:16

Will check out with neighbours tomorrow, we live in a small village so hopefully someone will know something, we have been listening out for people calling for cats but nothing so far , seems too young to be away from mum and is unkempt, couldn't leave it out tonight, too many badgers and foxes around here but will have an ask around tomorrow, see if we can locate mum and owner

CatOfTheDay Thu 03-Oct-13 23:43:16

Why do I never find tiny kittens? envy

It's not like I dont look for them! grin

Sparklingbrook Thu 03-Oct-13 23:45:25

I know Cat, it's so unfair.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Oct-13 23:46:40

Maybe 2014 will be your year, Sparkling.

grin

mydadsdaughter Thu 03-Oct-13 23:48:48

Dp and I were a bit worried about the eyes, we have cleaned them with water and they do look a bit better but not great, what do you mean by more serious? anyway will have to wait til tomorrow and see if we can find out anymore info

cozietoesie Thu 03-Oct-13 23:51:21

Kittens can get eye infections which can be quite serious if untreated - but you're having him to the vet tomorrow so the vet will see them and recommend any treatment/meds necessary.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Oct-13 23:52:48

Sorry - I said 'him'. Is it a boy or a girl?

Scarletohello Thu 03-Oct-13 23:53:25

Aw I do love these " I found a tiny kitten" threads, so sweet..! smile

mydadsdaughter Thu 03-Oct-13 23:54:42

Kitten is trying to nuzzle up to my collie dog, keeps rubbing its head against his legs, very sweet !!!

mydadsdaughter Thu 03-Oct-13 23:57:26

Have just checked and can't see a willy [Smile]

cozietoesie Fri 04-Oct-13 00:00:28

smile

What is its colouring?

I feel the need for a picture if it won't upset Sparkling too much.

MotherOfSoupDragon Fri 04-Oct-13 00:13:17

Let us know how you get on at the vets. Have you managed to get some kitten milk or food into her? She must be starving! Hope she hasn't got cat flu hmm

ZebraOwl Fri 04-Oct-13 06:28:27

Poor Sparkling - I almost want to leave her kittens to find just to make her happy...

Hope the vet trip goes well mydadsdaughter & that the latest member of your family continues to settle in as well as they've started off: they've definitely fallen on their paws being found by you!

Jel.

Poor kitten snuggling into the dog. He obviously wants some love :-)

Sparklingbrook Fri 04-Oct-13 06:43:47

I shouldn't be envy. It's not like I haven't got a cat. But these kittens seem to turn up in gardens so regularly it makes me think one will wander in eventually. grin

BlackberrySeason Fri 04-Oct-13 06:52:39

Lucky kitten to have found your garden! smile

ZebraOwl Fri 04-Oct-13 07:03:06

Especially if you keep leaving dreamies lying around the place Sparkling? wink

Sparklingbrook Fri 04-Oct-13 07:05:52

Ooh yes good idea Zebra. I think SparklingCat is preventing kittens landing in the garden TBH. sad

Editededition Fri 04-Oct-13 07:11:28

Lucky baby, to have found you!

On the sexing side of things .....cats don't have a visible 'willy' grin
To decide if its male of female, you need to lift the tail and look at the anus and genitalia you can see. If they are close together its a girl - if there is a distinct space, its a boy. There are some clear pix here about halfway down the page, which are a good visual guide.

Distrustinggirlnow Fri 04-Oct-13 07:23:32

Aw, how is the little one this morning?
I always follow these threads with interest. Like Sparkling, I would love to find a cat or dog but despite always keeping an eye out I never have shock
My first cat who I got from a rescue had been found in a box with her mum, but I didn't actually find her smile

Let us know how you get on at the vets OP envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now