cat mum of 4 week old kittens getting restless

(10 Posts)
KepekCrumbs Wed 02-Oct-13 21:51:23

My foster cat mum is charging around like a mad thing, skittish and playful, massively affectionate one minute and exasperated with me the next, bombing round the place like her tail is on fire. She's still being a great mum to her babies, eating masses and looking splendid. I'm wondering if it's because she obviously can't go outside and she's stir crazy? Or could she be on heat already?

KepekCrumbs Wed 02-Oct-13 21:52:42

Sorry for all the questions. .. I'm new at cats!

issey6cats Wed 02-Oct-13 21:53:46

could be both she will be going a bit stir crazy and yep our rescue has had female cats come in with tiny kittens and pregnant again i would contact the rescue and see when they usually get moms neutered most will get it done once the kittens are eating properly so around 8 weeks

KepekCrumbs Wed 02-Oct-13 22:01:19

I already have a date window for her neutering, when I'm on half term and the babies are old enough to have day without her. There's no way she's getting out before she goes to her new home wherever that may be! We're giving her more roosting spots out of reach of the babies and lots of attention. She'll have to sit it out I guess.

cozietoesie Wed 02-Oct-13 22:02:06

Sounds to me as if she's having naughty thoughts. Watch those windows and doors like a hawk - and have a word with the rescue as issey said.

cozietoesie Wed 02-Oct-13 22:03:35

x post. Actually, it's you who will have to sit it out. She'll just be scheming.

smile

KepekCrumbs Wed 02-Oct-13 22:11:06

It's very entertaining watching her doing her house dashes as long as she's ok which I am pretty sure she is! She's a very nice little cat. She definitely needs to have access to outside when she's spayed and chipped and rehomed.

issey6cats Wed 02-Oct-13 22:53:48

try keeping two very determined four month old kittens in, my fosters are still here because the center is closed at the moment due to feline parvo and these little beggers have only got to see the door open a crack and they are like whippets after a rabbit, never seen kits move so blooming fast have to have my wits about me not easy with four adult cats who use the door like a revolving one lol

KepekCrumbs Thu 03-Oct-13 06:04:17

Ha, that must be tough! Do you have dc too? Mine have grown up and left- can't imagine how I would train younger children to contain the cat.

issey6cats Thu 03-Oct-13 10:11:02

kepek no luckily dont have young kids in the house mine are all grown up, but when they visit its like dont leave the door open and constantly calling kittens heading for door when grandchildren go in or out , my lot are used to me having fosters so they are all pretty good at asking where are the kits lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now