help!

(75 Posts)
noddyholder Mon 30-Sep-13 15:50:47

Hi I am in a real dilemma with my 2 cats. I have had them years a boy 11 and a girl 15. Always got on fine v clean and happy etc etc. We love them to bits! Sadly last month the boy started dribbling and was found to have tumour under his tongue which is basically inoperable and we are giving him steroids and he has perked up a lot and pottering about fine. He could live anything from 2 months to a year and I have to decide when I think he has had enough. (thanks) The other cat has taken a real dislike to him since he has been ill and now she won't use the litter tray or eat food near him and if he comes near her she batters him. It is the litter though that is bothering me. I have tried everything putting her out separate tray etc and she just keeps peeing in the kitchen sink and worktop shock. Vet says she can tell he is ill etc etc but that doesn't help me now! I have had a renal transplant and am immunosuppressed an am terrified of catching something as I am cleaning non stop and disinfecting but I am not supposed to touch this sort of thing. Vet says no such thing as temp re home and she will be ok when other one goes sad but he is doing really well and is going to be around a while Help!

cozietoesie Mon 30-Sep-13 21:08:06

And remember - people are always here to chat to.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 30-Sep-13 21:12:08

Zylkene is a milk protein that binds to the same receptor as diazepam so all the anti-anxiety effects and no addictive effects. It contains no lactose so shouldn't upset milk sensitive cats.
Regarding how will you know when: more bad days than good days is my normal mantra. But actually with SCC under the tongue you need to monitor ability to eat and drink very carefully as this ability can seem to disappear almost overnight. My other mantra is it is always better a day too soon than a day to late.
It is worth discussing now your plan so that when the bad day comes you know exactly what you want be it a house visit or not and if you want to bury at home or cremation and then do you want the ashes back. After the event it always feels better if it was what you wanted rather than a mishmash as you made rushed decisions.

noddyholder Tue 01-Oct-13 09:57:39

Thanks all! I am making a plan now with d about what to do. My cat is crying for food 24/7 which i know is the steroids but he doesn't seem to know what he wants and as a result there are about 6 bowls of various things around. I work from home so can be with him but dp says he looks miserable even though he still eats and is purring a lot sad

cozietoesie Tue 01-Oct-13 10:06:58

Oh Dear, noddy. Are you really sure he's still eating and drinking? (With the various bowls of food around, it sounds as if he might be just mouthing the nosh and not ingesting.)

noddyholder Tue 01-Oct-13 10:08:23

Yes his first bowl this morning was just normal food and he finished it and a bowl of milk but now he keeps crying and jumping up and I don't know what he wants!

cozietoesie Tue 01-Oct-13 10:14:50

(Best to give him water and not milk if you were talking cow's milk.)

If he still has food around in various bowls, he needs love and attention. It often comes that way when they're not well - they feel a bit sad and flobbly. Just lots of strokes and constant talking to on your part.

(Maybe also put on the telly or some music/radio on a low volume.They seem to like a fairly constant noise source when they're off colour.)

noddyholder Tue 01-Oct-13 12:03:21

Thanks will try more water too. He is happily running around etc just the mouth really which is why its so hard to know what to do. He gets masses of love and attention thats for sure he has always been the house teddy bear and that remains. DP and I finding it heartbreaking though as he has just been with us through thick and thin. Always slept on my desk and follows me everywhere Will really miss him sad

noddyholder Thu 03-Oct-13 16:24:42

Hi I wonder if any of you are there. He has got a lot worse in the last 24 hrs. For the first part of today he couldn't eat or drink he made the mouth movements but his tongue stayed in. It is so distressing and I rang the vet and she said bring him in at the end of day today. Now in the last hour he has eaten a bit of cat food and I feel like I am taking him to the gallows while he can still eat but I know it is kinder to let him go. I dont know if I can stay with him while they do it so scared

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 03-Oct-13 16:41:50

You don't have to stay with him, I'm sure lots of people can't do it.

As far as the cats concerned its just another check up. Have you got someone to drive you there and back? It's hard to drive while your upset.

I'm so sorry, he looks just like my childhood cats.

noddyholder Thu 03-Oct-13 16:44:15

My dp is here he will drive. I am ok one minute in bits the next I think I could keep him going a few more days but I am not sure I can watch him any more. He just looks so sad and he isn't washing himself so his lovely fur is getting a bit smelly sad What happens do they just give him an injection?(sorry)

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 03-Oct-13 16:47:27

I'd assume so, I couldn't go in so my dad stayed.

He said it was very quick, and calm.

issey6cats Thu 03-Oct-13 16:47:52

they will just give him an overdose of anesthetic in his front leg and he will just go to sleep its hard but its a gentle way to go my heart goes out to you xxx

cozietoesie Thu 03-Oct-13 16:48:01

Cats don't know noddy and he'll be used to going to the vet by now. I'm so sorry for you though - it's truly hard.

You might be able to stay with him. See how it goes when you get there. It's usually very peaceful.

noddyholder Thu 03-Oct-13 16:53:38

Thanks I think I will stay I couldn't leave him with no one and my dp is distraught downstairs and he needs to drive us home. I am trying to be philosophical as he just has no quality of life left and I would be keeping him for teh wrong reasons. My son is at uni I don't want to tell him yet do you think thats ok?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 03-Oct-13 16:55:24

I think you should tell your son, it's worse if the cats gone and he didn't know about it.

noddyholder Thu 03-Oct-13 16:57:06

I would but he is dyspraxic and would absolutely freak out as he hates change and it could throw him completely. There is no way he could make it back here and he has a project, first one, which has to be in tomorrow. Not sure what to do

cozietoesie Thu 03-Oct-13 16:57:49

You're making the right decision. It was a bad prognosis so better to let him go now than when he's in serious distress.

If you can stay - well - see how you are when you get there. Myself, I'd tell your son but mull it over once you get back home this evening.

Stay strong.

Thinking of you all.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Oct-13 16:58:37

Leave it for a day or two then.

When is he due back home for a break?

noddyholder Thu 03-Oct-13 17:00:13

I am going to tell him at the weekend but wondered if I should tell him before don't think he would cope well being away from home with this news. God am torn

noddyholder Thu 03-Oct-13 17:00:40

He is coming back mid october for a friends leaving do.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 03-Oct-13 17:01:02

Ok well then cross that bridge when you get to it & focus on yourselves and the cat for today.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Oct-13 17:02:38

OK then. Just concentrate right now on getting to the vets and back. You can decide what to do about DS this evening.

How is your DP? Will he be OK driving? (I'm thinking about you maybe getting a taxi.)

noddyholder Thu 03-Oct-13 17:03:19

Thanks all of you for your support I think we are just shocked at the speed of this although you all told me I know. I really hoped for xmas with my ds home but its not to be and he is just so uncomfortable now xx

noddyholder Thu 03-Oct-13 17:03:50

I am thinking about a taxi too now

cozietoesie Thu 03-Oct-13 17:04:16

You're doing the right thing, noddy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now