My cat has lost 5 collars and keys in about 4 months

(35 Posts)
MissStrawberry Sun 29-Sep-13 20:02:55

We bought the quick release ones as we believe they are safer but this is getting ridiculous. He has a magnet on the collar so only he (and his co-living cat) can get into our house. The collar he has just lost was on him for less than 2 hours. We believe he must be getting them off on purpose as opposed to getting stick somewhere and wriggling free.

He is chipped so the collar was only a way of giving him a door key. No door key no coming in or we change the cat flap and run the risk other the neighbour's bullying cats can come in.

Any other collars worth trying?

Anyone want to buy an expensive furry toy? grin

BTW I have asked him where his collars are but he won't tell me.

NaturalBaby Mon 30-Sep-13 17:12:14

I caught one of my cats taking off her collar - she looked like houdini and has lost several since we started using them. I like the idea of a microchip flap!
We moved into a house with a magnetic cat flap but use it as a regular one - will other cats definitely come into yours if they could?

MissStrawberry Mon 30-Sep-13 17:12:39

Yes, GirlCat wears her but I am not sure what you are getting at confused.

MissDD1971 Mon 30-Sep-13 17:13:43

Natural - unless OP lives middle of nowhere most cats are chancers and come into your home to steal food etc.

it was on a BBC documentary about cats where they tracked them. tons of them were in other people's houses and roamed far and wide.

WinterWinds Mon 30-Sep-13 17:22:44

One of mine goes next door for an extra meal and next doors cat come's here for an extra meal despite both being well fed in our respective homes. But neither I or next door have a cat flap.
Have found quite a few random cats in my house over the years as we have our back door open most of the time (weather permitting)

With a non secure cat flap, cats see It as an open invitation but don't thank you on the way out!!!!

NaturalBaby Mon 30-Sep-13 20:32:41

I know it happens but have no idea how much it happens - it hasn't happened to us yet but we've only had a cat flap for 3 months! I'm pretty sure our cats haven't been though other cat flaps though, although obviously I have no idea what they're up to when they go out.

MissDD1971 Mon 30-Sep-13 21:37:01

Natural it is very common.

As I recall this village was in country too (but wasn't completely middle of nowhere) and cats were in and out if other people's houses like jack in the boxes!

All owners had no idea but guessed.

Cats are just so cheeky!

NaturalBaby Tue 01-Oct-13 12:44:43

I have a feeling one of my girls has been in the house next door but they don't have pets so am pretty sure they don't have a cat flap. I've only seen one come through our garden so looks like I'm lucky (so far).

MissDD1971 Tue 01-Oct-13 13:28:55

Natural - I bet your girl cat if she goes next door does a good impression of "Natural doesn't feed me/love me enough/at all etc" (delete where appropriate to them.

cats are little sods like that.

my white cat Snowy was a little tart though, gorgeous and he knew it and he knew how to appeal to people but would always come back to me. he was too friendly bless him.

moonbells Wed 02-Oct-13 09:49:06

Next door says they keep finding Mooncat asleep on their beds. She won't even jump on ours! But they like having their back door open. We've a Sureflap. Works a treat. We were actually told to get one by the door company when we asked them to put in a catflap when they were replacing the old door. We had no cat at the time!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 02-Oct-13 10:23:42

I think next door must have a goose down duvet with 1000tc sheets.

Nothing like high thread count cotton to dry paws on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now