My tortie is a real COW! :-D

(67 Posts)
GetStuffezd Fri 20-Sep-13 19:04:33

She has been sitting at the window for about two hours, pining for ginger boy to come home. (He's got a new mate in one of the feral farm cats!) Every time I tried to pick her up for a cuddle and fuss she gave me the feline equivalent of F off and resumed her position.

Scabbers the Ginger strolls in for his dinner and she's straight on my lap and biffing my face, pummelling, etc. It was a proper "we've been having SUCH a nice time without YOU!" I do love them!! grin

bishboschone Sun 22-Sep-13 21:19:29

We had Siamese cats growing up too.. 3 of them but one had kittens so we had loads at one point.. They girls only likes one person but the boy was soo friendly . Such a lovely boy .. All went on to 17 ish .. One of the girls was mine and I loved her very much hmm

thesixteenthtry Sun 22-Sep-13 21:19:41

I can't believe male torties are common in France. Tortie means black and ginger (maybe white too) Are some people confusing them with tabbies?
I wouldn't ever have a tortie, too many are nasty or mad.

Mogz Sun 22-Sep-13 21:23:51

I don't think so, Accidental, I think that the ginger in females acts as a recessive trait so that's why it's rarer.
It's only the X chromosome that has a colour gene, so that's why females (xx) can be tortie and males are just found in single colours. White bits are sorted by a different gene and I've no idea how cats with points of colour work, must be a bit of magic though as they're gorgeous!
It's probably all a bit more complicated than that but that's how the vet explained it to me when I was about 9 or 10.

LeGavrOrf Sun 22-Sep-13 21:29:14

I think tortoiseshells are lovely if you are the person they are attached to iyswim.

I love my tortoiseshell to bits but I am the person she is affectionate with.

She can't stand my daughter so my dd feels a lot cooler towards her, and prefers the other cats because they are lovely and cuddly with everyone.

SummerRain Sun 22-Sep-13 21:37:06

Cut and pasted from a website as I'm being lazy and it explains it pretty well:

"The ginger colour of cats (known as "yellow", "orange" or "red" to cat breeders) is caused by the "O" gene. The O gene changes black pigment into a reddish pigment. The O gene is carried on the X chromosome. A normal male cat has XY genetic makeup; he only needs to inherit one O gene for him to be a ginger cat. A normal female is XX genetic makeup. She must inherit two O genes to be a ginger cat. If she inherits only one O gene, she will be tortoiseshell. The O gene is called a sex-linked gene because it is carried on a sex chromosome. Tortoiseshell cats are therefore heterozygous (not true-breeding) for red colour.

The formation of red and black patches in a female with only one O gene is through a process known as X-chromosome inactivation. Some cells randomly activate the O gene while others activate the gene in the equivalent place on the other X chromosome. This only shows up visibly in skin cells as these produce pigment. This occurs early on in the embryo and as skin cells multiply, they form patches. The skin is a mosaic of cells where some have the O gene active (making ginger pigment) and some do not (making black pigment). This can only happen in cats with two X chromosomes. Male cats only inherit one X chromosome so this is active in all skin cells as there is nothing equivalent on the Y chromosome which could "switch off" the O gene."

The site is here and a section further down the page on sorrel cats might explain the light coloured french 'tortoishells' Accidental is talking about.

LeGavrOrf Sun 22-Sep-13 21:45:19

Thank you very much for that link I am going to bed to read it now, I find things like this endlessly fascinating.

I wish I could learn more about genetics, I really do, but fear I lack the rigid intelligence,

SummerRain Sun 22-Sep-13 21:56:58

I'm doing an OU module on Evolution atm and it's fascinating stuff. I'm far from rigidly intelligent but luckily the course is based more around macro-evolution and evolutionary trends than genetics.

I'm supposed to be studying for my exam now tbh so I really should stop reading cat threads and get on with it blush

catameringue Sun 22-Sep-13 22:59:02

I have a grey, ginger and white female who is awesome.
She only likes me not dh,
She is the best gymnast ever,
She only likes hunting and playing with things that come to her,
She likes opening drawers, the divan etc and sitting in it.
She loves chin rubs, but only if she's on the sofa or our bed. Otherwise she winces when you stroke her.
She loves tunnels and boxes.
She never sits on my lap as she prefers my face.
If I go to the loo in the middle of the night she excitedly accompanies me on the trip, purs like a tractor and demands constant attention.

GetStuffezd Mon 23-Sep-13 21:23:36

I am absolutely loving the way people describe their torties's antics. LOVED the "emergency wash!" SO apt grin
I came home today very upset because I bought a lovely mirror off Gumtree and it broke on the way home. In the living room I was confronted with an eviscerated vole, which I chucked out. Went upstairs to be greeted by its bowels on my bedroom floor. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry...

Lovethesea Mon 23-Sep-13 21:30:26

It's when I can only find the bowels I worry .... where is the rest of it? Did he eat it? If not where has he put it for me?

Or the time I found the rabbit leg and spent ages looking for the innards, only to realise I had dealt with those the day before and he had returned the leg to me that I had carefully chucked into the hedgerow at the bottom of the garden - as obviously no right minded human would refuse the lower half of a bunny as a gift.

SummerRain Mon 23-Sep-13 21:35:43

My grey kitten discovered a nest of voles over the summer and brought them home one by one.

Thing is we're in the west of Ireland and voles are extraordinarily rare here. How she found them is a mystery.

My old girl brings me a rat every now and again to remind me of her usefulness.

GetStuffezd Mon 23-Sep-13 21:41:01

YUK about the rabbit! Though I must admit I wouldn't mind if mine brought my home a dead one that had been humanely slaughtered and ready to cook...!

Summer - I didn't know voles were so rare over there. I like voles! Shrews bite and are evil but voles are so solemn and cute. Have an uncomfortable feeling this is the one I rescued a couple of weeks ago and put in the coal shed for safety.
RIP Voley!

Lovethesea Tue 24-Sep-13 20:14:10

I wouldn't mind rabbit but he ate it. Except the innards. And the back legs. They were mine. O joy.

LeGavrOrf Wed 25-Sep-13 08:02:39

We always get field mice and water voles. I mentioned in passing to my daughter that I was surprised at the water voles because I assumed they lived near rivers. Dd gave me a hmm face and said 'there is a stream in the graveyard (the other side of my garden fence). I had no idea and we have lived here for 5 years.

I also found something on the hallway floor one morning. Couldn't fathom out what it was and bent down peering at it. It was a mouse's FACE. Just his nose, whiskers and eyeless sockets. Obviously the whiskers were too scratchy to eat. It was horribly macabre like something out of Silence of the Lambs. I shrieked.

My tortie also likes gaps and small spaces. She buries herself in things and likes nothing more than settling herself in a tiny gap, and squeezes herself in small boxes.

DidoTheDodo Wed 25-Sep-13 15:12:23

I have a tortie kit and she is lovely! Greta fun and a big personality for a small furry thing, but not at all vicious or nasty, just funny.

I was a bit put off torties having heard people denigrate them so much, but am so glad we rescued her.

I am now torties greatest defender!

Horsemad Wed 25-Sep-13 16:53:20

Torties are the best! They have 'tortietude' grin

We've had 2 own us (current cat is a tortie) and they both had/have brilliant personalities. I never knew about the bonding but the first tortie was mine -totally ignored DH and the current tortie adores my DH and tolerates me - she pushes me out of the way to get to him!

Our previous cat was a black female - I've never met such a sweet cat, she was gorgeous.

SummerRain Thu 26-Sep-13 10:44:10

LeGavr, I had a similar experience with a bird skull that had been bitten in half... I was peering at it for ages before I could make out what I was looking at. She'd eaten the brains from inside and left the perfectly halved skull for me to find hmm

I opened the back door this morning and found my old girl swallowing something grey and furry whole... fascinating and disconcerting all at once, she didn't leave a drop of blood on the ground. She's lying on top of me purring like a tractor now and I'm slightly nervous grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now