My poor boy

(161 Posts)
mrsjrob Thu 19-Sep-13 22:19:01

My 13 month old tabby fell into a container of diesel, he's become really ill and my husband has took him to emergency vet. Does anybody know if he is likely to recover from this? We would be heartbroken to lose him

hellymelly Sun 29-Sep-13 13:25:24

Mrsjrob- PM me if you would like me to knit him a sweater. I am so pleased he is going to be alright.

ZebraOwl Sat 28-Sep-13 14:45:36

I trust you'll be putting up pictures so we can admire Whitey's sartorial splendour as he heals up & his coat comes back in... please?

Glad to hear you were able to pick him up today, is excellent progress! So good of him to look after you too wink

mrsjrob Sat 28-Sep-13 13:55:35

I have looked on eBay they have loads of little cat jumpers etc will have to order some.

Whitey has been great today, I picked him up for the first time this morning and he's been lying on the couch with me while I recover from my hangover grin

fackinell Sat 28-Sep-13 13:17:01

Oh great news, Mrs!! Someone's been watching over you all the past week. Feel bad for who ends up next door to them next time though. shock

ZebraOwl Fri 27-Sep-13 23:04:21

What fantastic news - both about Whitey & about your neighbours! I hope the dogs are removed from the neighbours (& ideally the evil creatures banned from ever keeping animals again, too).

You can put Whitey in a babygrow while he is baldy? I know people who've done that with cats to stop them getting at stitches...

There's a pattern for a cat sweater here & one for a tanktop too. There seem to be quite a lot of patterns for knitwear for small dogs kicking about the place that I guess might work for cats too?

thecatneuterer: I love that there's a team of people (I suspect you're prolly right about the demographic involved) somewhere knitting jumpers for baldy kitties. If I could knit, I would absolutely join their ranks.

cozie I feel v sorry for sphynx cats too. It can't be fun being a fur-free feline.

Glad to hear that DodoCat's doing ok Dido - I hope she's completely better soon.

I found this one www.craftleftovers.com/projects/cat-hoodie-makin-me-purr-free-knitting-pattern/

Does Mrsrob think Whitey would be likely to accept wearing it though?

It's also possible to cobble something together using an old sweater or fleecy stuff.

hellymelly Fri 27-Sep-13 14:45:46

OP I will knit Whitey a coat asap if I can find a pattern, anyone seen one?

DidoTheDodo Fri 27-Sep-13 14:04:45

What would be the right colour cat coat for a tortie? I favour blue and caramel stripes. She's not a pink sort of a girl!

Actually, we have a tortie coloured furry throw on the sofa and jokingly discussed cutting a patch from it to cover her shaved bit!

DidoTheDodo Fri 27-Sep-13 14:02:49

mrsjob she's doing fine thank you. Her wound bled a little during the week (it's healed perfectly at the top, but the bottom is not quite so good) but back to the vet's tomorrow for sign off. She is perfectly well and happy (and bonkers) in herself.

cozietoesie Fri 27-Sep-13 12:17:47

Sphynx cats? (Poor wee souls.)

Dido - in fact we have a selection of cat jumpers at Celia's that people (in my head 'little old ladies' but actually I've no idea who) have knitted for our cats in that position. But yes, really they're only for shaved/ bald cats, and of course those pedigree cats that are bred to have no fur (I've completely forgotten the name of the breed) wear them all the time.

mrsjrob Fri 27-Sep-13 11:34:57

We are still moving though already told landlord, dido is your cat doing ok?

DidoTheDodo Fri 27-Sep-13 11:31:24

Excellent news.

Can you really knit cat-jumpers? Well, I'm sure you can but what non-bald cat would wear them?
We've been threatening Didokitty with something like this until she grows back her shaved post-op patch!

Fantastic about the neighbour. I just hope he doesn't end up moving next to someone else with cats.

Aww baldy whitey. You'll have to knit him a cat jumper (I'm sure you can find patterns onlinesmile )

cozietoesie Fri 27-Sep-13 11:15:22

So much good news, eh?

Really pleased for soon-to-be-baldy Whitey.

mrsjrob Fri 27-Sep-13 11:11:53

That was supposed to say thank god it wasn't

mrsjrob Fri 27-Sep-13 11:10:46

Whitey had his last vet appointment today he has to stay on antibiotics and wear collar for another week them he should be all healed up, however he will lose all his fur and be bald for a while

Thank you all again for your support since I posted, you all really helped me through what was supposed to be a horrendous time but thank his it wasn't grin

I also have some great news about the neighbours next door and it's a big for sale sign stuck in their garden, I spoke to the lady across the road and she told me that they are moving because his wife is stressed with hassle from the neighbours shock I have also called RSPCA but don't think I will find out the outcome, I am hoping they take both dogs and rehome them with somebody that will love them

Yes, it's great that he's doing well. Please continue to update - both with his progress and with the revenge you've waged on your neighbour ...

And Hansiemom 'calico' is the American term for 'tortoiseshell' (it confused me no end the first time I heard the term - here calico is a cheap cream coloured fabric) and torties have black as well as ginger and white in the mix (and are also always female).

TamzinGrey Thu 26-Sep-13 22:50:11

Yes, it was very thoughtful of you to send Bruv to a safe place. So glad that Whitey is doing well. Please hurry up and move - your neighbour sounds terrible.

fackinell Thu 26-Sep-13 22:27:17

Oh good thinking sending his brother to your mum's. that way he can be safe and whitey can recover. Glad he's improving. smile

ZebraOwl Thu 26-Sep-13 21:52:10

Oh dear... Whitey's brother must be completely thrown by how Whitey smells at the moment, what with the diesel & the cleaning & the vet & everything else. Am glad you've been able to sort things so they're both safe.

HansieMom Thu 26-Sep-13 21:40:54

What a strain on his little body, to have all that damage and healing to do. So glad he is on the mend.

I would call him a calico.

DidoTheDodo Thu 26-Sep-13 14:15:29

So pleased to hear that Whitey is on the mend. Long may it continue!

mrsjrob Thu 26-Sep-13 14:06:11

He is being kept in, I have another cat (whiteys brother) but I can't keep him in because he keeps trying to attack whitey so we have sent him to my mums until whiteys better, that way the neighbours can't hurt him aswell

ZebraOwl Wed 25-Sep-13 23:50:57

Glad he's feeling so much better - hope it's not too much of a struggle to keep him in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now