Home inspection - how nosy?

(23 Posts)
cozietoesie Fri 20-Sep-13 20:29:35

Did I say 'top' ? blush Bottom - you know what I mean.

cozietoesie Fri 20-Sep-13 20:28:11

I think you might have to get another in due course but depending on the cat(s) who'll be in it. I had to make a cross-country journey (many hours) with an extremely bad tempered Siamese in one like that which I'd bought as a temporary carrier.

He discovered that you could hook a claw in the top of one of those vertical slits and pull down, shredding the material. We only just made it to our destination before the thing fell apart.

See how you get on, though.

I've never seen those carriers. It depends how sturdy it is. For now it will certainly be fine as kittens aren't that strong. If he grows into a big thug of a cat you might want to reassess. You can always test it by putting him in it in the house and seeing if he can bash his way out.

RiotsNotDiets Fri 20-Sep-13 17:09:31
RiotsNotDiets Fri 20-Sep-13 17:08:54

I've bought an eco carrier, it folds up.... was that a really big mistake??

Yes igloo and radiator beds are both popular in my house (as is my pillow and any clothes drawers I happen to leave open ...)

Sparkling Cat likes the igloo type beds like this

How lovely. Just a point about cat carriers. Don't be tempted to buy the really cheap ones with the plastic front/door. Get one with a metal front. Unfortunately a lot a people have lost their cat on the way to the vet using those very cheap carriers as a strong and anxious cat can push their way out.

RiotsNotDiets Fri 20-Sep-13 13:51:22

Ah, I'll get a bed then in case, can always sell it if she isn't interested.

superbagpuss Fri 20-Sep-13 13:25:00

our cats have beds that get used in winter

any toys on strings are good for kittens

don't forget a carrybox for trips to the vet grin.

HSMMaCM Fri 20-Sep-13 13:17:47

My cat loved a bed which hung on the radiator, so it was all snuggly warm.

RiotsNotDiets Fri 20-Sep-13 13:14:52

I'm off to look round the pet store this aft and see if it's cheaper to get stuff there or online. I'm getting a litter tray, litter & scoop, bowls for food & water, food, scratching post and lots of toys as she is apparently v playful. I'm not sure whether to bother getting a bed? No cat I've ever known has used one. Shouldn't need any flea or worming stuff for a while, as she'll have it all done before she comes so will leave that for now.

She's already got a name, Peggy

Now, have you got everything you need, and have you thought of any names?

RiotsNotDiets Fri 20-Sep-13 13:02:51

Ooh, I better go and figure out how to post pics!

Oh that's brilliant. MN rules that you announce new kitten's arrival and post a pic. grin Oh and envy obviously!

RiotsNotDiets Fri 20-Sep-13 12:21:51

Great, you were right, nothing to worry about. Kitten is getting neutered and vaccinated on Monday and then will be getting her the Monday after probably (just need to find someone to drive me)

DD is so excited, we're off to choose the kitten some toys in a bit smile

How did it go Riots?

When we had our home visit she just sat on the sofa in the living room, didn't look anywhere else (even in the garden).

She asked us what we do with her if we went away, what food we were planning on using, what vets would we use, if we were planning on getting a catflap that sort of thing. It was a lot easier than I thought!

Nothing to worry about, they want to check the location more than anything. they will want to know if you have any other pets, and ages of your children. Possibly your work pattern/ if the house is rented.

Absolutely no need to tidy your house, and won't want to poke about in every room.

Good luck.

RiotsNotDiets Thu 19-Sep-13 17:14:29

Hours of manic tidying all pointless then grin

That's a relief, I feel like the HV is coming or something. A bit on edge, will probably spill tea on them.

oscarwilde Thu 19-Sep-13 16:53:34

Have small kids though so loose wires and big ready to topple sculptures don't really exist in my house. Little sods keep climbing the curtains and setting off the house alarm though sad

oscarwilde Thu 19-Sep-13 16:52:07

Mine consisted of a quick squizz at the garden and inspection of the pre-installed cat flap. Full stop. Then 30 mins of An Idiots Guide to looking after a Cat to ensure that you start to wonder if you have made the right decision. No going outside until 6 months of age, minimum 2 kittens together, indoors overnight so the foxes don't run away with them. etc etc.

RiotsNotDiets Thu 19-Sep-13 16:46:22

I've got someone coming over in a bit to do a home check so I can adopt a kitten smile YAAAAY!!

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of the house they are going to inspect? I'm not too keen on showing a stranger round my bedroom or the horrors of my junk room

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now