Anyone else have a hyperthyroid cat?

(34 Posts)
CatOfTheDay Thu 19-Sep-13 15:29:16

My nearly 14 year old cat is off to the vets in a couple of hours.

She first started showing symptoms earlier this year - diarrhoea and weight loss despite eating loads. Since then she's been on Vidalta every other day. She had a bit of a bad reaction at first, but after a short break on the vets advice we continued and it's seemed to work. Until now!

She can't seem to keep the pills down anymore - on pill nights she's fine for a couple of hours then up comes whatever food she's had and a semi-digested pill! She isn't sick on the alternate nights when she doesn't have the pill.

We're hoping there's an alternative medication she can take, but I'm also wondering about the possibility of surgery.

Does anyone else have any experience?

Nessalina Thu 26-Sep-13 22:49:25

My folks' two kitties both have thyroid issues and are on daily tablets, never been offered the operation from what I know, but they are 18 and 19 (and still going strong!). They've not had digestive issues with the tablets (which my mum gives them hidden in soft food at dinner time), but the younger one hates taking it, so will usually eat her dinner leaving a solitary tablet behind! They've started using a cat pill-crusher and sprinkling the bits over the food to make sure she's at least getting some of the benefit, and that seems to do the trick - might also work if your kitty isn't digesting a whole tablet well?

CatOfTheDay Fri 27-Sep-13 21:10:24

The new vet now has the notes from the old vet, and thinks the levels on her last tests aren't consistent with how she is now (still losing weight despite the Vidalta staying down for a while, and her Thyroxine levels were only slightly above normal then)- so wants to do full bloods and the T4 test again. So Motley's booked in on Monday - getting worried it may be something more serious sad

cozietoesie Fri 27-Sep-13 21:13:36

Best to know, CatOfTheDay, whatever the situation. Then you can treat it if there's a problem.

Best of luck on Monday.

pigsDOfly Fri 27-Sep-13 22:54:35

My 19 year old lady has been on Felimazole for about 3 years now. During that time the dose has been adjusted following blood tests and she is now on 2 a day. She seems to enjoy life and seem happy.

I've never been offered any other options from the 2 different vets she's seen during this time but she seems okay on it. Had I known about surgery when my cat was younger I would have plumped for that, but she's probably too old now. She also has high blood pressure and is on medication for that.

She does vomit from time to time and if it becomes to frequent seems to be linked with the need to increase her medication, which definitely helps.

Nessalina: please check with your vet about crushing your cats' pills You don't say what your cats are on but I know that you must not crush Felimazole as apparently it can be harmful for the person administering it.

TamzinGrey Sat 28-Sep-13 01:02:56

Nessalina - Pigs is right. You should check with your vet about crushing the tablets. As well as being harmful to humans if handled when broken, they are a slow release medication, so not effective unless swallowed whole.

CatOfTheDay Mon 30-Sep-13 22:30:20

Motley was very brave for her blood tests. She's put on 0.03kg. smile

I have to ring tomorrow for the results - then back again Wednesday morning with our young rescue cat who has the shits!
(Well, he HAD the shits - until this evening when I have to get a sample, now he just won't go!)

Until then I am chasing cats round with sample jars. I need to get some wee from Motley too - I have some plastic balls to put in a litter tray to catch it, so she can spend tomorrow in a room by herself I think (with special food as a treat!)

CatOfTheDay Thu 03-Oct-13 21:55:19

Bumping to see if anyone with hyperthyroid cats need any Vidalta - I have about a month's supply (maybe more) left and I'm happy to send it on. I don't think Motley will want any more! smile

Wolfiefan Thu 03-Oct-13 22:01:57

Hi again! Wolfiecat has seemed fine on the pills. (Sick once but then she is occasionally sick.)
Back to see the vet next week. I'm sure she's put on weight. I'm sure they will retest and then want to discuss staying on tablets, op or diet.

CatOfTheDay Thu 03-Oct-13 22:39:20

Good luck Wolfiecat! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now