Feeling worried about the cattery

(12 Posts)
marzipanned Thu 19-Sep-13 13:31:48

We are off on holiday for a fortnight next week and are likely to have workmen in the house while we're gone. The boss is a bit funny about strangers in the house and there will be a lot of noise and disruption. For this reason I'm thinking about putting him into the cattery instead of what we usually do, have someone round daily to feed him.

The cattery looks lovely; however, the last time he was in any sort of caged environment, it was the rescue centre and I really, really don't want him thinking he's been abandoned again.

Does anyone have any tips on easing a cat into a cattery stay? Am I being a bit precious? I know lots of cats adore being at the cattery...

cozietoesie Thu 19-Sep-13 14:03:29

Shall you be sending him with a favourite toy or two and, say, a nice blanket smelling of you that he can have for the fortnight? Other than that, I think you just have to grit your teeth.

Does the cattery have arrangements to phone you/email you or a nominated person in the event of any problems?

marzipanned Thu 19-Sep-13 15:12:51

I was planning to send him with a pillow from our bed as that's his favourite sleeping spot. He has always spurned toys!

I thought I might ask also if I could spend a bit of time with him in his room when I drop him off to reassure him.

I am sure I could ask to be called in the event of any problems - the cattery seems very good, and no doubt he will be fine, and it will just be me that worries! Thank you - I think grit my teeth is right smile

cozietoesie Thu 19-Sep-13 15:51:05

I reckon that should be OK. Make sure they have the litter and food he's used to along with his cushion and that they know to phone or email you if anything wrong.

You'll likely get the big humph when you get back and take him home but I wouldn't do anything special to be honest - back to the normal routine will be the best and most pleasant thing for him.

Have a good holiday.

smile

PS - I'm assuming he's up to date with all his shots etc? You don't want to fall at the last hurdle.

marzipanned Thu 19-Sep-13 17:20:20

Oh gosh good point - thanks for reminding me! Better check his certificates and have a chat with the cattery tomorrow to see what's required.

Thanks again! smile

Sparklingbrook Thu 19-Sep-13 17:25:10

I worried about that the first time SparklingCat went to the Cattery marzipanned as she was a rescue cat.

Well I needn't have worried. She made herself quite at home, with her 2 beds i sent in her in with and a few toys. I also sent her brush, and I think the cattery lady must have spent a lot of time brushing her as she was so glossy and shiny when we picked her up. smile

I think they do a lot of sleeping at the Cattery TBH.

marzipanned Thu 19-Sep-13 18:40:52

That's really good to know Sparkling! Yes, if life at the cattery is anything like life at home, there will be a significant amount of sleeping, eating whenever food is provided and a bit of looking superior and entitled while enjoying head rubs.

msrisotto Thu 19-Sep-13 18:43:05

I understand your concerns, can a friend or relative look after him? It is a bit pfb but...... i'd do it.

marzipanned Thu 19-Sep-13 19:13:05

I can't think of anyone I could ask - all our friends nearby either already have pets (and he doesn't mix well with others!!) or aren't really animal people.

I do feel reassured by SparklingCat's experience and I suppose the rescue centre was very, very different (he was sharing quite a cramped cage with another cat) to the cattery (quite luxurious) so I just have to hope he doesn't feel abandoned (and prepare myself for a week or two of cold shoulder when I pick him up)

marzipanned Tue 15-Oct-13 16:12:20

Just popping back to say thanks for the advice. He coped well though has been Velcro Cat since coming home (not that I'm complaining - was rather lovely when he crawled in between my arm and side last night and went to sleep with his head on my elbow; less lovely when his snoring became louder than DH's...)

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 15-Oct-13 16:19:10

I am hugely fussy about where my cats holiday. I send them to somewhere that is just a cattery as I always feel that just a cattery is run by cat people and kennels and cattery are run by dog people who take in cats. Even though this actually means that the day before and the day after holiday is fraught as I have to do dog to one place and cats to another.
I take their regular beds (well actually the dog's beds as that's what they sleep on). Most of the time they just hop on to their beds without even a look at me. When I return there is a bit of Oh it's you.
Having been in and out of catteries and kennels for 15 years actually in catteries they spend a surprising amount of time with the cats grooming them etc. Nothing like any rescue centre I have been in so far.

cozietoesie Tue 15-Oct-13 16:39:18

Glad he coped well, marzipanned. The knowledge of that will give you a more relaxed holiday next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now