Stray cat, RSPCA, bit worried of outcome

(86 Posts)
thingymibob Mon 16-Sep-13 22:40:20

We found a stray limping cat in our garden. First saw it on Saturday, limping badly and then again this evening, not putting weight on it's back leg. Put a little food down, thinking if we can keep it in the garden until tomorrow and phone someone. Turns out it's a really sweet animal, skin and bones but really friendly and was sitting on my DD's lap within 20 mins, after wolfing down all the food. I didn't want to leave it in the garden overnight so called the local out of hours vets.

They said they would see him, gave him a painkiller, checked for chip (there isn't one) checked for temperature and apart from being skinny and with a sore leg, he seemed fine. They suggested we took him to RSPCA, (Harmsworth) which we did and they took him in.

Am now worried he will be PTS sad I left my details and said we would consider rehoming him but then wondered if they thought we had just dropped a family pet off for free treatment

Our dilema is we already have a female moggy who is now around 14 years old. We had another cat who was pts 3 years ago, we got them at the same time from RSPCA but the second one got cancer. Would our existing cat live happily with a young male cat? And how do you introduce them? Our cat was hissing through the window at the stray, which is how we noticed him, not sure she would be that accommodating. We already have two dogs and they exist in the same home but the cat keeps well away from them

That's if the RSPCA would consider us rehoming him. He was young and intact with no chip and riddled with fleas - so things would need doing/sorting

I have a number to call tomorrow to see how he is. IF we do want to rehome, would we be liable for the treatment he is given at RSPCA??? Or should we offer to pay so we can bring him home, if we could work out how to get our girl used to him??

Lots of questions, but not sure how it would work and I am always hearing such bad things about the RSPCA

thingymibob Fri 18-Oct-13 09:12:00

He has used his tray. We borrowed a cage from RSPCA but I think we need a bigger one. It's long but shallow and he hits his head when using the tray. Also means there is little room for everything. Will see how it goes over the weekend.

Dogs will be fine, but if he is lively they will want to play. So will delay that

Will get him some toys to keep him occupied in the cage. Any recommendations for good ones?

cozietoesie Fri 18-Oct-13 09:20:00

One of the vets on here mentioned that they had cages that they lent or rented out very cheaply to clients. Maybe worth giving them a buzz? (You can register him etc at the same time and also book him in for his check up.) Probably best to go for a large dog cage if the room will take it. Then you could give the RSPCA their cage back and be shot of them.

Toys? Maybe some small soft toys if he's to have them inside his cage. If you have a charity shop nearby, then have a look at their small kiddy teddies/dogs and so on. I usually buy Seniorboy little kids' toys to play with - a quick rinse in the washing machine on an acrylics/soft cycle and then they're dry in an hour or so. And usually less than 50p each.

(Or you - or relatives/friends with small kids may have some knocking around as well.)

thingymibob Fri 18-Oct-13 19:41:51

Getting a bit worried we aren't doing cage rest right. We have let him out for 5 min cuddles but he has a few walking around the room at this time. Should we stop doing that do you think??

DD let him on her bed last night and he rolled around and settled down for a sleep. When he got a bit restless, she put him back in the crate as she didn't want him to jump of the bed. (DD is 23 btw, so not a youngster) Do you think that is ok?

Had a little google search and they all say crate rest means they don't come out, so thinking we need to stop letting him out?

I am getting more cross with the RSPCA today, we don't know where his break was or how severe it was. We have been given no aftercare advice. Crate was mentioned only by the lady who came to do a homecheck, the nurse handing him over didn't say a word - it was only mentioned when I brought it up (in a very busy waiting room) I thought they might have had a vet chat to us. Also, looking online, the rehoming fee everywhere else includes the microchip. Not begrudging paying but from this experience, they really aren't very good at customer care - and considering the cat is technically the customer - he has really been let down.

Going to phone vets in the morning and try and get an appointment for Monday, will explain the story and see if they can get his notes sent over ASAP. I really think we need more information about his injury and what they expect and want us to do to make sure he heals fully.

On another note, old cat came in the room today and was a hissing, growling madam - so introductions are going to be a slow affair I think. But am confident she will come around eventually (fingers crossed) If not, they will just have to learn to occupy different rooms lol

Cage rest generally means no walking around. But really you need more information on what he needs from a vet. So yes, get him to your vet and see if he/she can tell you more, and of course check for a chip at the same time.

I'd be very surprised if they haven't already chipped him, but then they haven't exactly covered themselves in glory during this whole episode, so may be they haven't.

I thought you said you already had a dog crate?

thingymibob Fri 18-Oct-13 22:02:18

We have two but we feed the dogs in them, I loaned my spare and never got it back. I was going to buy a new one but RSPCA loaned us this one. It's the height of it that makes it look uncomfortable, he is ducking to use litter tray but I'm thinking it needs to be small to keep him from moving around too much. Will see how he gets on this weekend. If he struggles with using the tray, I will go Pets at Home and get a larger one

Will cut back on letting him have a few minutes walking, it really has been only a few minutes at a time - he tries to jump out if we go to clean poo out of tray/change litter as he is peeing lots or putting food down. It's a top opening one so he has been putting front paws up to start the jump. Will lift him onto a lap next time we need to do something instead of lifting him to the floor. No one told him he is supposed to have a poorly leg smile

Going to phone local vets tomorrow as we are thinking of changing vets anyway - long story involving 13 year old dog with minor geriatric aches/pains and a vet phobia and me wanting longterm painkillers to keep her comfortable in her last year/s- while they want sedation, xrays and scans costing over £400 and will not give her painkillers/doggie ibruprofen in the meantime. A vet visit upsets her too much and she has to be muzzled and vet hasn't examined her properly in years, we have already decided on no heroic measures if she gets sick.

New vet is open 24 hours and provides out of hours care and as we have only ever seem to have poorly animals at weekends and evenings and end up there - we may as well register there plus if you are registered you get cheaper out of hours care.

PartyFops Fri 18-Oct-13 22:42:18

Aww what a lovely ending! grin

I was In a similar situation, I found a stray, she was in a terrible mess , skin and bone and had recently had kittens. We fed her for a while and looked everywhere for her kittens but we never found them.

We then decided to take her to Celia Hammond for treatment and rehoming. I dropped her off on the way to work one day and by lunchtime I was on the phone to them in tears begging for them to let me collect her! I picked her up the next day and left a generous donation.

Splodge is, 8 years later such a sweetie and so grateful. gringringrin

Much better charity than RSPCA

cozietoesie Fri 18-Oct-13 22:49:03

Don't think you'd get much disagreement there on this this board.

smile

cozietoesie Fri 18-Oct-13 22:54:48

(Forgive the extra 'this'. A peremptory paw intervened in my typing smile)

Putitonthelist Sat 19-Oct-13 12:49:25

Just caught up on the update that he is now with you. So pleased, he looks and sounds adorable!

CanucksoontobeinLondon Sat 19-Oct-13 18:45:44

I also just caught up on the update. OP, you are due some major good karma for all the hard work you've done getting this kitty into his forever home. Really sorry the RSPCA vet's office was unhelpful with aftercare advice. Grrrrr.

Re: toys, have you thought about a catnip pillow? My two don't really play with toys much on their own (only if the kids drag the feather on a stick around, etc). However, they love slurping on their little catnip pillows and sucking all the nippy goodness out.

timtam23 Sat 19-Oct-13 21:01:31

Yeowww catnip toys are great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now